Speed.

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Speed.

Postby qtheblues » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:17 pm

Harps suck best.

Now, I've been playing harps for the better part of 45 years, and most of it in an'amateur'status - bedroom player (as we call 'em here in the UK). but for the last 5 years or so, I've been hooked onto blues.
I play in bands and am one half of a blues duo, but my limiting factor is speed. I just don't seem to be able to kick out those high speed run-downs like DeLay or Piazza.
I can make one note played from the heart rip you apart, but when it kicks into up-tempo stuff - real up-tempo stuff - I kind of have to half-speed things to stay with it.
I've attended singing lessons, and have been told that my breathing technique is perfect, so why am I left behind when things get 'hot'?
There's obviously something I'm NOT doing correctly. Any suggestions?
Thanks, in anticipation,
BobQ
qtheblues
Regular

RE: Speed.

Postby jeffl » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:44 pm

Part of it may be due to the tunes you're accustomed to playing. Practice and familiarity contribute to speed,doncha think...? I've been jammin' with an acoustic bunch for about a dozen years,and there's a female fiddle player who is an integral part of that bunch,and when she shows up,we do alotta dual fiddle and harp leads. She's a 3-time Minnesota state fiddle champ and is faster than a cut cat,and when I play with her,I find that I'm forcing myself to play faster licks. There are CDs and online jam aids that can force you to jam,or practice, at higher speeds,so that those triplet runs become more natural. Focussed practicing can accomplish some of these specific goals,where jus' jammin' with yourself may not push you enough.(I've been playing for about 40 years; half of it in band settings)
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby qtheblues » Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:46 am

Harps suck best.

Thanks, Bubba. Wise words. You could well have hit the nail on the head regarding speed practise & jamming with those faster than me.
Time will tell.
Cheers!
qtheblues
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:16 pm

My experience has been that you don't really need to practise speed. You work on the slow stuff, get that sounding right and then one day when you try something at speed it'll all just fall into place without you having to think about it.

Individual results may vary.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp