On the road...literally

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

On the road...literally

Postby freewayjam » Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:54 am

Went into the archives and was amused and a little surprised to learn lots of us are blowin and drivin at the same time. I commute on some of SoCal's slowest freeways 40 miles one-way. Have an old Radio Shack 9V micro-amp hanging on my dash, plugged into the lighter socket. Carry all my harps (DF's and SP20's)with me every day in my home-made foam case. And dig this..I drive a stick, man. Talk about diversions! Doing mostly one-handed stuff but occasionally knee-steer and work it hard - yo!

Started playing in the 70's, tapered off for awhile, then moved here and started up again. Having a great time with it and my skills are way ahead of where they were years ago. Anyway, keep on jammin - keep on drivin.
freewayjam
Regular

RE: On the road...literally

Postby songdog » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:07 am

Awhile back I had to drive all the way from Vegas to Denver by myself. Playing the harp kept me from nodding off at the wheel :o

I got about 4 hours of playing time in and it definitely made the eleven hour trip seem shorter.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dblues » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:56 pm

Well this is too funny and very close to home. I to live in the jungle of So. Cal Freeways and I also drove all the way to Vegas in my stick shift VW Bug playing harp. I think I even closed my eyes a few times when I got a grooving too hard. This was back in '69 or '70.
Thanks guys for bringing the memory back.

http://www.soundclick.com/dblues

Later,it's time to make some music
dblues
dblues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:26 am

I've done it as well,but now I'm getting this mental picture of happy harpers drivin' down the road all over the world,oblivious to the car accidents they've caused in their wakes,and later bragging about having never been in an accident while playing. Harpers have a reputation for playing anywhere and everywhere,including stairwells,public bathrooms,parking ramps,etc.,so playing in cars is a given.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:17 am

I don't know many Hammond organ players who practice while driving.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby dcblues » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:00 am

"I play the harmonica. The only way I can play is if I get my car going really fast, and stick it out the window."

-Steven Wright
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:30 pm

I responded to this in another thread but here goes. I practice on my commute home. No hands on the wheel, steering with my legs with a 5 speed stick. Seems to surprise people that I prefer standard transmissions. By the way I'm now left handed so I reach acrossed and shift, it's almost not frightening at all for my passengers.
I drive mostly rural roads and I only practice when there isn't any other traffic.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby gogs » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:59 pm

And I thought I was the only one!I drive a truck from Christcurch to Dunedin return daily(700 odd kms)and it's a great way to alleviate boredom.Just click on the cruise,both elbows on the wheel,and away I go.(5 speed stickshift?try 18!!:D)
gogs
Regular

Postby cheap_jazz_box » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:10 pm

The nearest I can come is having a harp available to me in my uniform pocket during the day. I figure it's just too difficult and would draw too much attention to let go both hands and play while riding my motor on the freeway....So, if I can't play on the road, no one can! Don't let me catch you on my roads in SoCal driving with your knees--it could be, shall we say, painfully expensive! BWAH HA HA HA HA! GAK-dammit! (evil laugh, chokes on doughnut, spills coffee).}> }> }>
cheap_jazz_box
Regular

Postby ricochet » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:31 pm

So, CJB, does that mean you can get us autographed pictures of Eric Estrada in uniform?

ricochet
Regular

Postby cheap_jazz_box » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:46 pm

Ooooh, Rico--that was COLD! LOL! Wrong Department anyway, but due to City budgetary restraints I'm still riding his motor! The gang at work pretty much expects that I can be relied upon to pull out the harp at the drop of a hat. I think they view me as mildly mental....
cheap_jazz_box
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:33 pm

Long as it's "mildly," you're OK.

ricochet
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:32 pm

5 speed stickshift?try 18!!

Well it's only a 13 speed but one like this spends time in my driveway.
http://www.worldwidetruck.com/us6.jpg
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:57 pm

Fine looking rig, Bandit!

ricochet
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:55 pm

Did I mention that my Dad drives it. BTW that's not his looks just like it though. I've lived in apartments that had less space inside.
City won't let him park it in town, so he leaves it at my place.
I've driven 10, 13, twin stick 4x4's and 18's. Just not for a living. The old man used to drive for Frito Lay. 1 tractor, 2-53' trailers, combined length of 120'. Now it's just contract work since he retired. Over 2 million miles without an accident.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Blues Harp