Breathing Technique?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Breathing Technique?

Postby burns » Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:47 am

Ok, so I am pretty new at this I just got my first live rig, a Blues Blaster though a Blues Jr. slightly modified. I mainly play Special 20's, but have a few Bluesharps and Lee Oscars. When I play the Blues harps and Oscars I can really hear my breath through the amp. I was wonder if that is just my poor breathing technique, because I claim to be anything the best? Let me know what you think.
burns
Regular

RE: Breathing Technique?

Postby jeffl » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:48 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-06 AT 08:50 AM (EST)]I don't know if it's improper technique..it might have more to do with having the tone on the amp dialed to the treble side too much,and maybe the volume high (which is OK). Depending on what type of tone you're looking for,you can eliminate summa the breath sound by eq'ing your amp more to the classic Chicago/Piazza side: as little treble and as much bass as you can get, with the mids cut down as well. On my 30 I dime the bass and feed the mids and treble knobs just off the bottom (like 1 to 1 and a half) for cut. Many harpers over the years have thought nuthin' of lettin' extraneous sounds come through their harps though: inhale whoops,grunts,etc. I wouldn't think anything of it if I were you,as long as you got enough air to play with.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby burns » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:33 pm

Well thank you, I have not used my rig on stage yet, but will on Sunday. I am thinking this will not a big problem then considering I am playing with a punk band and just having fun, so who knows what you will really be able to hear at all.
burns
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:01 pm

Listen to Walter Tore's recordings. You can hear plenty of breathing there, and it fits. It's part of the music.

I used to feel the same way about my slide noises on guitar. I finally realized that's part of it, too, and you don't have to play perfectly "clean."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby watertore » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:54 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-06 AT 01:56 PM (EST)]>Listen to Walter Tore's recordings. You can hear plenty of
>breathing there, and it fits. It's part of the music.
>
>I used to feel the same way about my slide noises on guitar.
>I finally realized that's part of it, too, and you don't
>have to play perfectly "clean."
>
>"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

thanks ricochet! I have heard Mark Werner of the the Nighthawks breath coming through his amplifed set up. There really is no right or wrong, only what makes you feel good. I prefer to play acoustically with the harp, and the breath sound becomes almost like another instrument. For me, the breath sound says my diaphram is really working. You can really work the diaphram, and control the air flow. That is another thing I like about playing acoustically, you can really hear these things. My breathing always sounded like that, and for awhile, early on, I felt real self concious about it, until I heard Mark doing it.

For me, the amplified sound, which I did quite extensively years ago, just doesn't hold my interest anymore. You lose a ton of options that exist with the acoustic harp set up-hand cupping, moving around the mic, and the fine little sounds, that get burried in a amped rig. The amplified sound holds my attention for a few moments, much like a heavy distorted guitar sound, but then it all starts to sound the same to me. I was lucky to get to hang around sonny terry. I sold off my harp mics, and bassman amp, about as fast as I could, after hearing him play a few inches from where I sat. But, like I said, it is all about what turns you on. I play for me first, and if others like it, that is wonderful, but I don't change to fit their wants.

Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp