effect pedal for harp

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

effect pedal for harp

Postby paulw » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:52 am

What would you recomend for a single pedal? I have a crate CA15 acustic amp I use for harp and it has reverb on it. I would like a pedal thats adjustable for adding a little more tube amp distortion. I have a digitec bad monkey which is ok but its a little too muddy. Any advice would be helpfull. Thanks
paulw
Regular

RE: effect pedal for harp

Postby angerboy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:54 am

Sell it and buy a tube amp. Don't throw money at a solution that you won't be happy with.
angerboy
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:12 am

Most distortion pedals work very poorly with harp. They have too much gain and different frequency responses, so the result is usually feedback. A small tube amp will give you a nice dirty tone, and need not be expensive: An old second-hand one will do, (as long as it's safe, and works) or get a new Epiphone Valve Junior, which I think are listed at about $99. That's about the same cost as some effects pedals! With a $10 change of pre-amp tube, you'll have a nice little harp amp.
Your acoustic amp is designed for a clean warm sound, but if you don't want to buy a new amp just for harp, you could consider a Behringer V-Amp, POD2 or similar modelleling effects unit. You would have to tweak the settings on it considerably to get good harp sounds though. Some players are reporting a great deal of sucess with these, as they have models of Fender Bassman, Champ etc on them, and they can go straight into a PA. I will add that I personally haven't used any of these, and I wouldn't buy one without trying it out first. I have used the valve junior though, and thought it sounded pretty good. The only effects pedals I use are a Dan-Echo and a Rocktron micro-hush as a feedback controller. Mukluk Chuck who posts here uses a Boss ME-50 effects unit into a Peavey tube amp with excellent results though.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:21 am

Hang on! I've just seen from your other post that you're selling your Pro-junior, so you know how good tube amps sound for harp...
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby paulw » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:58 pm

I know it seems a little counter productive but I am looking for clean and a more adjustable sound and stay within a budget. The pro jr sounds good if I could do both I would.
paulw
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:50 pm

I can understand that totally. In that case try one of the multi-effects units out. If you play guitar, and I'm guessing you do, as you have an acoustic amp, then a multi-FX will do the job for both guitar and harp if you set it up correctly. It might not be exactly the same as a good tube amp, but I bet if you play out audiences won't notice the difference. Otherwise if you find a pedal that gives you the sound you want let us know!
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby blues_man_dan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:59 pm

I've been using the Korg Ampworks...

Works very well and gives a very nice variety of amp-cabinet-effects.
Musicians friend recently had them on closeout from 99 to 39 as Korg has come out with a more souped-up model that sells for 69 with an integrated footswitch and a few other goodies. Ebay has plenty of these units for sale.

I have found my unit can produce almost any tone and effect that I need. The tweakability (new word???) of the effects is very simple as far as amount of delay, reverb, etc. and when you find the combo that you like the unit allows you to save 2 of the combos into memory for a fast go to later.

The unit works as well into an amp as it does straight into the PA and for me seems to be an extremely versatile Harp Commander on a budget.

Do a google search for "Korg Ampworks" and you should find several reviews. IMO you can't go wrong for the price and if you don't like it, it would surely re-sell on ebay.

Here's a pic...
blues_man_dan
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:56 pm

ebay seems to have 'em for $99.00,while there are online suppliers sellin' 'em for as little as $50. I wish there was a dealer around here so I could try one. I'm not in a mood to shell out bucks for something I may not like at all. Seems like a good tool to carry around for jus' gettin' up an sittin' in for a few tunes with some buddies,but is it a cheesy tone,or is it better than jus' blowin' thru somebody's SM58 stage vocal mic?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby blues_man_dan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:10 pm

Tone is VERY convincing on most all of the settings. Korg has done a good job with emulating the cabinets and amps on this one. I kep it in my case and use it oftem when I do not want to lug an amp around. Like all of these toys, it just takes a bit of time to dial in the right settings and taste test it with your mics. I have tried several different pedals and all in one units such as the v-amp2, etc. I am by far most pleased with this one in terms of price, ease of use, and most importantly the TONE.
blues_man_dan
Regular

Postby julio1958 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:32 pm

I use a 1962 Gibson av5 skylark ( tube ), volume, bass and treble only, I have 2 pedals, a danelectro slap echo, and a older bose digital delay ( dd-3 ), they both work awesome, I kinda preffer the bose acually, I blow thru a re-issue green bullit.
julio1958
Regular

Postby bosco » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:33 pm

I gigged this weekend with an old Danelectro Daddy-O that one of our guitar players loaned me. Nice, creamy distortion. Effects pedals with their own volume controls are extremely useful for harpers. You find the feedback threshold and then just back her down a bit.

Used in combination with my Danelectro Slap Echo, through a Blues blaster and into my Lectrolab vintage tube amp with 6x9s. Tone was thick and full without being harsh...you know the sound, where the notes just seem to flow or melt together. I got dozens of unsolicited comments on the harp tone, many of these from people who have seen the band multiple times.

I'm not much of a gearhead, and have played with a relatively clean tone for years, but my ears tell me that a little distortion and echo, reverb or delay are very complimentary for amplified harp.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bullet len » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:59 pm

When I first started out playing amplified harp, I bought the BOSS BD-2 Blues Driver Pedal. It's supposed to emulate the drive you would get from a tube amp. It gave a really nice crunchy sound without too much distorted muddiness. I'm pleased with the warm tone.

There are a ton on ebay; I'm sure you could pick one up for a pretty good price.

-Bullet Len

“The blues ain't nothing but a good man feelin' bad”

-Leon Redbone
bullet len
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:17 pm

I was primarily interested in how it would perform directly into the mains,as long as the vocalists didn't mind it bein' in the monitors; when you "sit in" with bands for just a set or two,like I do occasionally,it's hard to haul your whole rig with you and sneak out when you gotta go. I've never bought a Commander,but I used one once,and it was OK; I just thought that if there's a $50 tool out there that pretty much does the job of a $300 one,and it's smaller,well..... And I've been told that if you're gonna use non-tube stuff,the digital stuff is gonna get you closer than standard SS circuitry. Hence, I like my Digitech DigiDelay better than my Dano slap echo. I still use my Dano alot,'cuz it takes up less space in my case.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby paulw » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:01 am

Been playin around with the Zoom G2 multi effects unit for a few days now. Best $100 ive spent on gear in quite a while. Very easy to adjust your settings once you get to know it. You can do a lot of fine tunning with this unit. It has a six band EQ and three other adjustments possable for each effect you choose. Have several tuned in now for just what i was lookin for ( clean, pure tube amp and a kind of a funky Jason Ricci distorted sax type of sound) and I also found a few for kinda organ like sound, but that is for further down the road. The only downside is it only has a 2 digit display so you have to get used to the abreviations.
I want to try a Behringer MIC200 Tube Ultra Gain unit to see what that does with it and for acustic stuff. I dont know that it will make a diff with the G2, it has good tone on it's own through my Crate acustic amp anyway. I will post a few songs on harmonica boogie's online jam in the next few weeks.
paulw
Regular

Return to Blues Harp