speaking of breath..........

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

speaking of breath..........

Postby watertore » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:29 pm

The van is loaded up for tonights gig, and I got the urge to record this afternoon, so I grabbed my harps, placed a few mics, and let loose. I often forget how much fun it is to play solo harp! Walter

the nightime scares me
It keeps raining down on me
Walking away from my stressfull life
afraid of getting old
nobody wrote the rules
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

RE: speaking of breath..........

Postby watertore » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:13 am

I recorded these today. They are solo on harp, solo on national steel, solo on acoustic guitar.
did you do something good today?
she's in the hospital again
Is your loved one sick tonight?
Iv'e been walking most of my life
I don't mean to hurt you little girl

I tried a new mic technique. I have no idea if it tried and true, or new, or rarely used....

I placed a AKG C414 B TLII on my vocals/harp, about 8 inches away from my mouth, another C414 B ULS, about 4 feet in front of me, at eye level(I sit), and lined up with the soundhole on the guitar, and a 3rrd mic, RODE NT1a, About 6 feet in fromt of me, lined up with my mouth, at eye level. I used this set up on all the songs. It seemed to eliminate all the boominess that I get, when I mic close, and added some "air" / live feel, to the sound. I did not do any eq'ing, and only added a tad of reverb to each channel. Any comments would be appreciated. Walter
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pageart ... dID=157137
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:25 pm

Those are very solid recordings Walter!

Some of the best I've ever heard over the net...studio quality.

I'd write down those mic locations and setting for future reference.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:07 pm

Good shootin',Walter! It's very nice to have yer music on my computer while I'm handling mundane tasks with the factories.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:11 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-06 AT 11:14 AM (EST)]>Those are very solid recordings Walter!
>
>Some of the best I've ever heard over the net...studio
>quality.
>
>I'd write down those mic locations and setting for future
>reference.
>
>Bosco

Bosco: Thanks for that feedback! It means a lot to me. You too Bubba. I record myself so much, I can get kind of confused with the final sound. My freind, Joel Hamilton, a major studio engineer(did most of Tom Waitts recent albums), turned me onto the Electro Harmonix 12AY7 mic preamp. It is a true tube driven pre, for only $190. He was given one to try,and did, figuring it would end up in the junk pile, but was amazed at how well it sounded. He told me it compares to many $1,000 a channel pre amps. He knows I am on a limited budget, and suggested I buy one. I did, and found it to be no better than my cheap 2 pre input ART TPS. I called him, pretty disapointed. It turned out there are 2 outputs on the EH pre, one a 1/4" and one XLR. I had been using the 1/4" out, because all I had was 1/4" cables. He told me that output is only for monitoring. You have to use the xlr to get to the meat of it. Well, I did, and now own 5. I share this here, in case anyone is looking for a great value on a preamp.

I listen to a lot of the old acoustic recordings of the 60's, like Rev Gary Davis, Lightning Hopkins, Sonny Terry/Brownie McGhee, MJH, etc. I think they must have been recorded using this type of mic set up. I was once recorded in the Austin State Hospital, playing acoustically, with no amplification, or PA. Jimmy Carl Black was on Drums, and Mark Rubenstien on piano. The guy who recorded me, had done a lot of work in NYC with African musicians. He came armed with 2 mics, and a reel to reel. He positioned the mics in the room(the state hospital was built in the late 1800's and the room was huge, brick, tall ceilings), and we ended up with a sound similar to what I got on this session, only with natural reverb.

Since I started learning how to record, I have been mic'ing everything real close, like 3" off the acoustic guitar. You get a real up front sound, but it lacks the air of those old recordings. I am sure what I did is nothing new, and probably very old, but to find it on my own, was a blast. This is how I play too. I have never tried to learn anything. I just let it come out in it's own time. Maybe that is why in 35 years, all I have learned is 3 chords :)

Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:10 pm

Walter, if all you know's 3 chords after 35 years, I don't feel so bad. That's all I know, too. if I can make 'em sound as good as you do in 30 more years, I'll be delighted!

That's a good tip on the EH preamp.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby watertore » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:53 pm

>Walter, if all you know's 3 chords after 35 years, I don't
>feel so bad. That's all I know, too. if I can make 'em sound
>as good as you do in 30 more years, I'll be delighted!
>
>That's a good tip on the EH preamp.
>
>"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Thanks ricochet. Most people learn from the outside in, via lots of chords, instruction, videos, etc. I have learned from the inside out. I do this naturally. The book, lesson, method doesn't hold my interest. I love the joy of discovery. Even if it has been done a million times before, it is brand new to me. By just learning what comes naturally, I can forget about what I am doing, and just let the thing flow-no thoughts. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:30 pm

Well, like I posted over on the piano thread, I'm enjoying just playing stuff and figuring it out by what sounds good. It's fun, and what I discover sticks. Slow, but I get there.

ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:28 pm

Great sounds, Walter. I'm making a note of those Preamps, as well...
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:25 am

Ricochet: That is great you are doing that on the piano. Learning this way will develop your own sound. That is all I ever wanted, not women, fame, or fortune, just my own thing.

Dan: You are welcome to come up and get recorded. I am better at it than the last time we did. I really enjoy recording acoustic players. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:56 am

>Ricochet: That is great you are doing that on the piano.
>Learning this way will develop your own sound. That is all
>I ever wanted, not women, fame, or fortune, just my own
>thing.

Actually, I'm doing it on an old Hammond organ. The piano forum's fair game for anything with a keyboard, I figure. :)

ricochet
Regular

Postby watertore » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:07 am

>>Ricochet: That is great you are doing that on the piano.
>>Learning this way will develop your own sound. That is all
>>I ever wanted, not women, fame, or fortune, just my own
>>thing.
>
>Actually, I'm doing it on an old Hammond organ. The piano
>forum's fair game for anything with a keyboard, I figure. :)
>
>
>"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

I bought a turn of the century upright 6 years ago. I have always wanted to figure out the piano, but my lifestyle for most of my days, has been to transient to carry a piano with us. Mine doesn't look good, but it sounds sweet. I like to just drift on it. I enjoy playing only the black keys too. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:24 am

Walter, I'm in the throes of recording right now - and it's really showing up the differance between the way you do music and the way I do.

For me, that "Flow" state is a goal to achieve - and every day, I try to get there.

Recording this CD is the result of several years of "spontaneous creative opportunities" - and I'm editing my performance into a series of studio events.

It allows a certain perspective - and a hell of a lot of room for synchronicity.

But in my opinion, your flow is unbeatable.

Unliable.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:09 pm

Lots of great stuff's found in those black keys.

ricochet
Regular

Postby watertore » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:40 pm

>Walter, I'm in the throes of recording right now - and it's
>really showing up the differance between the way you do
>music and the way I do.
>
>For me, that "Flow" state is a goal to achieve - and every
>day, I try to get there.
>
>Recording this CD is the result of several years of
>"spontaneous creative opportunities" - and I'm editing my
>performance into a series of studio events.
>
>It allows a certain perspective - and a hell of a lot of
>room for synchronicity.
>
>But in my opinion, your flow is unbeatable.
>
>Unliable.

thanks Dan. That means a lot to me. You are a solid musician! I will send some sonoma county, hippy dippy, tofu fried in black beans, brown rice, in an all organic, spinach tortilla, topped with patcholi oil, MOJO to your sessions! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Blues Harp