Harp Commander (original)

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Harp Commander (original)

Postby dblues » Tue May 02, 2006 4:08 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-02-06 AT 00:11 AM (EST)]Thinking of selling a Harp Commander. I originally purchased from Brian Purdy. In original box and lifetime warrantee. It was gone over by Ron Holmes shortly before Brian sold it to me. Works great, I only used it a couple of times.
$175.00 includes shipping
dblues
Regular

RE: Harp Commander (original)

Postby jeffl » Tue May 02, 2006 10:42 am

I've considered buying one of those before...are you sure that the lifetime warranty transfers to subsequent owners....?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby brianp » Tue May 02, 2006 1:38 pm

I bought the commander from someone else on ebay and Ron went over it free for me and enhanced it with all the latest revisions. He was aware I had bought it on ebay and said he covers the box not the owner. That wa what was said to me at the time. Ron is a stand up guy who you can count on.

BrianP
http://www.harpgear.com
brianp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dblues » Tue May 02, 2006 3:02 pm

Thanks for the additional comments Brian. Yup Ron is great. He gave me free advice on how to build a battery box for this. He doesn't care who you got it from. As Brian said, he stands behind the unit 100%
dblues
dblues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue May 02, 2006 3:44 pm

Do you have a 110 volt power supply chord for that box,or is it just battery powered?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dblues » Tue May 02, 2006 3:54 pm

COMES WITH AC ADAPTER. There is no battery compartment. I was just thinking of building a seperate unit to house a proper battery unit for it and Ron told me what to do. It's NOT necessary!
Original box and instructions, even a nice little carrying bag that Ron's wife made for Brian. I paid more for the unit than what I am selling it for. It's definitely a good deal.
dblues
dblues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue May 02, 2006 4:03 pm

I'll buy it,dblues. Do you want me to send you a money order,check,or how do you wanna do it? If you e-mail me through the private mail stuff in the profile section,mebbe we can wrap this up. Lemme know what address to mail the funds to,or whatever. When you get the funds,you can send me the box.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dblues » Tue May 02, 2006 5:40 pm

OK I PM'd you.
dblues
dblues
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue May 02, 2006 6:30 pm

Back atcha,db. thanks. (feels kinda like doin' a drug deal. "here..slip the money under the cafeteria table.")
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dblues » Tue May 02, 2006 7:28 pm

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha ya it sorta does Hahahahahaahhaha
dblues
dblues
Regular

Postby brianp » Wed May 03, 2006 8:02 am

Now that that deal is cinched I have an HC1 I am selling also I had Ron overhaul this January with all the features he could upgrade. I will sell for $175 also shipping included. What he did on the rebuild:

From Ron Holmes:
"Hi Brian,

Today I shipped out your rebuilt Harp Commander. Did pretty extensive overhaul and anything I could update I did. You should find the gain structure and sound much better. The grain is gone. It essentially sounds like the new design. With the features the original had. The tone circuit works like HCII now. I replaced about half of all the parts and all but one pot. I repainted your bottom cover and relabeled it. So it is original at least."
END

He says it has the same tone functions as the new HC2 now so this may be a viable alternative to the HC2 for someone else interested in getting one. If anyone is interested email me at brian@harpgear.com and we can work it out.

Thanks!

Brian
brianp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hashtaff » Wed May 03, 2006 10:03 pm

I have a HCI but which was modified by Ron to include a line out and headphone socket.
Should I be sending it back to get the HCII mods?
Is there a huge difference?

"First feel really bad. Or really good. The point is to feel" doc Mojo
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby brianp » Thu May 04, 2006 5:09 am

When I sent it back to Ron I thought the unit was too gainy. I insisted on paying him for his time and components so he charged me $75. Are the changes necessary? I would have to use it next to an unmodified unit. I think this unit sounds and works great. If you have any questions about this I would refer it directly to him. I don't know if it will be a standard upgrade he offers as part of the warranty. I offered him money to do it because he is always friendly helpful and these things cost him money on top of his time and he is worth it. He would be able to tell you more though.

Brian
brianp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hashtaff » Thu May 04, 2006 10:13 pm

Ok Thanks . I'll talk to him.
How are people using their Commanders? direct to PA or through an amp?

I used to use a Green bullet into Denelectro BLT to Commander into a Fender Pro Jr and use the Commander as a tube preamp to overdrive the Fender. However since getting a 4X10 Sonny Jr I play the Green bullet straight into it plus sometimes a little reverb from a Boss DR5.
Last night we played a gig in a small bar and I used the Fender Champ copy bought from BrianP (which I normally use as a practice amp)with a touch of reverb and filled the place with sound(and had lots of positive comments re the tone).
So my Harp Commander seems a bit redundant at present and is currently gathering dust.

"First feel really bad. Or really good. The point is to feel" doc Mojo
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue May 09, 2006 12:35 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-08-06 AT 08:37 PM (EST)]>Ok Thanks . I'll talk to him.
>How are people using their Commanders? direct to PA or
>through an amp?
>
>I used to use a Green bullet into Denelectro BLT to
>Commander into a Fender Pro Jr and use the Commander as a
>tube preamp to overdrive the Fender. However since getting a
>4X10 Sonny Jr I play the Green bullet straight into it plus
>sometimes a little reverb from a Boss DR5.
>Last night we played a gig in a small bar and I used the
>Fender Champ copy bought from BrianP (which I normally use
>as a practice amp)with a touch of reverb and filled the
>place with sound(and had lots of positive comments re the
>tone).
>So my Harp Commander seems a bit redundant at present and is
>currently gathering dust.
>
>"First feel really bad. Or really good. The point is to
>feel" doc Mojo
Well,I jus' got my Commander in the mail today from Dblues,and I fired it into my Silverface Champ,which immediately raised a question. I put the Commander right after the mic,since it was designed to enhance mic signals,and then ran it into one of my delays (in this case,a Digitech DigitalDelay),and then into the Champ. I reasoned that it was best to send the signal through the digital effect AFTER it had been processed in the Commander,since the Commander was not designed to process a signal from a digital or solid state source. My other delay is like yours,a Danolectro BLT slap-echo. The overall improvement of the sound (in the form of "browning" it up,was not night/day,which I didn't really expect it to be. I didn't buy the Commander from Dennis to use with my amps anyway...I bought it jus' for jumpin' up on stage with buddies when I walk into a bar where they're playin' and they ask me up for a set or a few tunes,and pluggin' it straight into the PA. But,the question remains: what should come first in the signal line,the Commander or the delay...? You've seen my guess,but I'm not good with electronics. Incidentally, the pouch that Ron Holmes's wife apparently made for Brian Purdy when he got this Commander looks like it was made out of a really nice dish towel,and should serve nicely as a towel for those hot stage nites; I hope she doesn't mind.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Blues Harp