Harpin with a bass and drummer

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Harpin with a bass and drummer

Postby watertore » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:29 pm

I had my bassist and drummer at our house last night, for a house party. We did a pretty good harp number- I don't know if I want to live or die. I love getting a bass and drums behind me with just a harp! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Harpin with a bass and drummer

Postby dcblues » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:32 am

Last week at my regular acoustic gig Phil Wiggins showed up and sat in. At one point when we were both playing, he started playing a boogie woogie instrumental. I joined him, and one of our guitarist and bass player played along with us. The guitarist also plays harp, and he put down the guitar and picked up a harp. We ended up doing a three harp instrumental with just a bass backing us. That was a fun gig.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby harp54 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:51 pm

One the lineups I play with is drum bass and sax and we have found that all instruments and vocals have plenty of space.

The bass man has adopted a kind of hybrid bass/rhythm style and the sax honks out a strong back drop for the harp and vocals to ride on.

Then it is all change and the harp drops into the background to let the sax loose. Audience comments are a mixed bag and range from: How refreshing it is to not here a guitar leading to how a guitar would really fill the sound out. I think the trick is choosing the right matrial.

I am sorry to say it but we all agree that without a guitarist we lose maybe 20% of the sound but also lose 80% of the problems.
harp54
Regular

Postby watertore » Fri May 12, 2006 2:17 pm

The harp is a cool solo instrument, if you can play it right! Over the past couple of weeks, I have posted a dozen or so songs on the soundclick site, with just me and the harp. Give them a listen if you like! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri May 12, 2006 5:33 pm

>guitarists can be glory hogs--if they get too hard to get
>along with, just mix em out and walk al over them, I mean,
>what could happen? ...
>
>seriously, in my opinion, the more sharing is done between
>group members, the better the moral gets, and the music
>grows with it!
Any musician can be a glory hog; what surprises me is that some guitarists I've played with, who are better at their instrument than I am at mine, don't do more to call attention to themselves. I've said it before,but they work hard all nite,playin' every note and chord,and occasionally soloing,but when it's time for harp soloing,they want you out there makin' a little scene, in order to spice up their show a little. I respect the heck outa most of the guitarists I've worked with: they're on the line all nite long.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp