Harp Mic Elements

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Harp Mic Elements

Postby bullet len » Thu May 11, 2006 9:14 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-11-06 AT 05:14 PM (EST)]Hey folks,

I found some old bullet mics for cheap at an antique store and on ebay. The elements were dead, but the shells are still in pretty good shape. I picked up a nice Turner 22X on ebay for 8 bucks.

I'm also building my own mics out of some different materials. The shells are easy to come by, but good sounding elements are hard to find.

Besides paying hundreds of dollars on ebay, does anyone know where I could find some good sounding - high impedance crystal, ceramic, or carbon elements?

I would like to start building more mics and possibly selling them, but I gotta find some decent cartridges.

Thanks alot,

Bullet Len

“The blues ain't nothing but a good man feelin' bad”

-Leon Redbone
bullet len
Regular

RE: Harp Mic Elements

Postby jeffl » Thu May 11, 2006 9:45 pm

I don't know about that stuff,Bullet Len,but welcome to the Big Road. I'm a harper from Southern Minnesota. I got my amp warming up in the living room right now... gonna fiddle more with my new (old) Harp Commander,to see how the settings effect the sound. I might check with the "Ham" radio guys,as one source for old mic elements.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri May 12, 2006 12:17 am

I don't think elements for the old Astatic JT30s are presently being made. Angela Instruments has had some, in both ceramic and crystal, but I don't know whether any remain. I haven't really looked for other makes and models.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby songdog » Fri May 12, 2006 1:02 am

You might contact Shure to see if they sell Green Bullet replacement elements.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Fri May 12, 2006 2:55 am

I've heard that HAM Radio conventions are a great place to get old mics (which I assume would have good elements) but I've never been to one. I'm a non-techie harp player, I just use what sounds good to me.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby hashtaff » Fri May 12, 2006 3:16 am

Start here: jt30 page' has shure elements at $25

http://www.jt30.com/jt30page/eacstore.html#connector

"First feel really bad. Or really good. The point is to feel" doc Mojo
hashtaff
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri May 12, 2006 12:35 pm

Old mics often have dead elements, because moisture kills the Rochelle salt crystals. I've got a late '40s JT30 with the original element still working, though the cable's fallen apart.

The fittings for those cables are no longer made, and though they can be found in stock by order, it's a pain.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby t bone bruce » Fri May 12, 2006 3:52 pm

I made a mic for someone else once using an element from an old telephone handset, and a transformer from an broken impedance convertor that sounded cool. Mouser electronics sell a crystal mic element about 1 1/2 inches in diameter that's either the same or similar to the ones in the new hohner blues blaster. I have the new blues blaster, and although I haven't tried an old MC151 to compare it to, I like it. Go to the Shure website and their discontinued products page and have look at some of the old CB and tape recorder mics they produced. Often these mics go cheap on e-bay- but many have CM elements inside. If you bookmark the site, and spot a mic for sale on e-bay you can see what sort of element it has in and if it's suitable.
t bone bruce
Regular

Postby bullet len » Fri May 12, 2006 6:56 pm

Thanks for the great ideas everyone! I'm gonna try to find some Ham guys around my area and see if I can find some cheap stuff that'll sound good.

I'll let you guys know when I get some mics together.

“The blues ain't nothing but a good man feelin' bad”

-Leon Redbone
bullet len
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri May 12, 2006 7:24 pm

If ya' really feel like diggin',check out any taxi companies that may be around as well...their dispatchers often used Shures,Unidynes,Bogens,etc.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp