Epi Valve Jr Head

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Epi Valve Jr Head

Postby 1armbandit » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:19 pm

I ordered a Valve Jr head from MF on Thursday evening, got it delivered Saturday morning. Dead quiet, no hum or hiss. I'm plugged into a makeshift cabinet with two Jensen Special Design 6x9's.

I'm playing harp through a Blues Blaster mic. This thing is loud.

Now I need to work on my tone some more.

I'm really happy with the amp though. Nice looking, solid construction, and a good sound for not much $.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Epi Valve Jr Head

Postby songdog » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:40 pm

Hey Bandit

Those Jr heads look like a steal! I'm tempted to get one. How far up on the gain dial can you go before it starts screaming at you?
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:58 pm

It only has volume.

I had the amp at 3/4 and the Blaster full up in my living room. It was uncomfortably load wih very little air pressure, no feedback. At full volume on both it would feedback if I didn't keep my body between the mic and amp. I haven't changed out the 12ay7 yet. I'm not sure that it will be necessary other than for tone.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby djflash » Fri May 05, 2006 4:44 pm

how about a sound sample?
djflash
Regular

Postby 1armbandit » Fri May 05, 2006 7:11 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON May-05-06 AT 03:11 PM (EST)]I'm building the speaker cabinet right now so maybe a week or so I can try to do something.
The amp isn't going to make me sound wonderful though.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Sat May 06, 2006 7:50 pm

Hi Bandit-

Sounds like the makings of a great rig there. Nice to see another harper realize the value of 6 x 9 speakers, they're awesome for harp.

Just curious if you read my thread here last year about my Lectrolab w/ 6 x 9s, or saw the story on harpamps.com?

[link:www.harpamps.com/lectrolab/bro.html|harpamps-lectrolab]

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Sun May 07, 2006 2:21 am

I got the idea from you Bosco. I even passed the story on to a friend that is building a harp specific amp that he is patenting the technoligy for. He's going with conventional 10" speakers though.

My cabinet will be the same width as the VJH and has the 6x9's in the top. Then there is a section with an 8" and a section with a 10". Each section will have it's own removable back. Not sure yet whether I will want the backs on or off. They all sound different so rather than build three seperate small cabinets I went this way. And the height is 36" and that puts the head at just the right working level.

I picked up some material tonight to cover the cabinet in that matches the VJH pretty well. Should look good as well as sound good.

Thanks for the speaker tip Bosco.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Sun May 07, 2006 12:25 pm

You're more than welcome Bandit, We'll look forward to more reports of your completed cab and rig.

As a footnote, I put a single 6 x 9 Alnico in my Pignose G40V as a guitar player blew the original speaker and it had been sitting idle for a couple of years. Again, all I can say about that amp now is WOW! With 40 tube watts modeled after the Fender Bassman circuit, that thing runs like a raped ape. Power and tone to the bone.

The Pignose is now my favorite amp to take open mics and sit-ins because of the portability. It's half the size of the Lectrolab or Bassman, and moves four times the air that my vintage Champ can.

The vintage 6 x 9 organ speaker seems to combine the best attributes of 8 in and 10 in speakers for tone and their power handling capabilities are legendary. I urge all harpers who have not tried 6 x 9s yet to try them. Be sure to get vintage alnico organ speakers, not a cheap variety made for car stereo applications. You shouldn't have any trouble finding them, as guitar players aren't interested and most keyboarders have gone solid state these days. Enjoy!

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby 1armbandit » Sun May 07, 2006 12:53 pm

I made the baffle board and the boards that seperate the speakers removable. I was thinking that if I ever come across two more 6x9's that I'll make a baffle for a 4x6x9 set up and set it up to play any number together.
That's cool about your Pignose. You might want to keep it on the "down low" till we have all we want though.
1armbandit
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bosco » Sun May 07, 2006 1:24 pm

You might want to keep it on the "down low" till we have all we want though.

Yeah, I'm just sharing the secret with fellow BigRoaders, it's not all over the net (yet). The harpamps.com piece is falling farther down their mainpage as we speak and is fairly buried after Keith put up all the new stuff about the recent April Guitar Show.

I've picked up five vintage 6 x 9 Alnicos off of Ebay since last September...two pairs and a single, so they're out there. You just have to narrow your search to eliminate all the car stereo 6 x 9s. I type "harp amps" or "6 x 9 Alnico organ speakers" in the Ebay search and that usually works. About $20 - $25 per speaker is the going rate.

The cleanest ones have been inside Leslie organ cabinets for most of their existence which protected them from dust and corrosion. Four of the speakers I have aquired have still had the Leslie connectors on the wires. A Search for Leslie organ parts will usually turn up some leads for vintage 6 x 9s as well.

If I see a good pair for sale, I'll email you a link, Bandit. Good luck.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun May 07, 2006 3:15 pm

6x9 speakers used to be a common standard. I looked around online for a while yesterday, and pretty much all that's made now are coaxial 2 or 3-way ones for car stereos. Yuck!

The ones for Leslies came out of Rotasonic Leslies with rotating foam drums containing the speaker, not the ones that are in big demand by Hammond fans, but you might want to consider the possibilities of building a Leslie to use with your guitar or harp before pitching that.

I didn't know you'd done that with your Pignose, Bosco, It's important to remember in choosing a speaker that that amp isn't the 40 watts they claim, but 60. It's a close clone of the Marshall 2204 "Super Lead 50." The stock Pignose speaker is supposedly rated for 70W, but I think that's the bogus "music power" rating that doesn't mean anything but is simply the real power rating doubled. I put in a Jensen MOD 10" 70W, and it sure was a big improvement in sound! My original speaker was damaged the first time I played it wide open, always sounding scratchy after that. I got it out the other evening thinking it might work for one of my low powered homebuilts, but it still sounds crappy.

The next little amp I'm getting ready to build is one that I think may have good promise as a harp amp. When I get it built, I'll have to figure out how to ship it to you for a tryout, as it looks like you're not coming down here to play anytime soon.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby djflash » Sat May 13, 2006 10:54 pm

Got one on order, they are back ordered for a couple weeks :-( I plan on trying a couple 10's and then a couple 12's with it. The 2x10 will run through the 4 ohm load jack not sure about the 2x12.

What best can combonation to run with this Jr. have any of you experimented with different speaker set ups like I am going to do?

I wanted to go with the best way at the best working ohm load as possible for harp. Im just trying 2x10 at 4 ohms because thats what I have here at the house, I also have 2x12 cab that I will try to see which way works best. I would asume if its like car audio that dropping the ohm load makes the amp push harder so maybe the 4 ohm jack is the best route to take with a 5 watt amp that dont sound like its a lot.

Give me some tips if you have tried anything of the sort or have the know how with all of this ohms and speaker combo things.
djflash
Regular

Postby ricochet » Sat May 13, 2006 10:58 pm

If you're playing with the speaker load properly matched it makes no difference what the ohm rating is. That is, 4 ohm speaker in a 4 ohm jack, 8 ohms in 8 ohms, etc.

If you play with a mismatched setting, like an 8 ohm speaker in a 4 ohm jack or vice versa, it won't hurt anything but you'll get more distortion. It'll make very little difference in the power output, none that you'd be able to hear.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby djflash » Sun May 14, 2006 6:14 am

my plan is to start with 2x10 at 8ohms each in parallel dropping them to a 4ohm cab into the 4ohm jack.
djflash
Regular

Postby thebluesbox » Sun May 28, 2006 3:54 am

mine been on order for a few weeks they keep moving the back order date every day that day comes they move it whats with MF's they should just be stright and say when dont know when your getting your junk bro! I would rather that then to keep stringing me along everyday.
thebluesbox
Regular

Next

Return to Blues Harp