Need Help To Find the Right Harp

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Need Help To Find the Right Harp

Postby doc williamson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:36 pm

It's been a few years since I've been here & I need help. I'm a novice/basic harp player & have written a song in Dm that I'd like to add harp to. Problem is the notes on a 10 hole C harp don't go low enough so I'm looking at 12 hole diatonic or chromatics (without the slide).

The notes needed are in a simple descending scale, from the F above middle C they are... F - E - D - C - B - A - G. What I want to do is play clear single notes down the scale. What is the right 10 hole diatonic key to use or is a 12 hole diatonic what I really need? Also, could someone please notate the Blow/Draw to get these notes on the correct harp to use?

Thanks,
Doc

http://DocWilliamson.com
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Need Help To Find the Right Harp

Postby jeffl » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:58 pm

Doc: good to see ya here! I'll see if I can give it a swing on one of my harps when I get home. I'll have to check out yer notes on pianny first, but I'm thinkin' that it's Lee Oskar that builds harps in natural minor keys to be played in cross harp ( 2nd Position ) and my Special 20 minors are straight harps, but I honestly can't remember. I stock 'em both in my case. Mebbe somebody else who knows their keys and harps better can "wing" it for you. Depending on the notes used, some minor key tunes can be played in their major cross harp equivalents too. I gotta play tonite, so I don't even know if I'll get to it tonite.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:49 am

Maybe a low C or a solo-tuned C (tuned like a chromatic but without a slide.) Third position would probably work with either.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bottleneck » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:32 am

a twelve or fourteen hole marine band goes low,or you could use a low c.you could also use a chromatic,no need for the slide on that line up of notes.

of course a solo tuned harmonica(as pointed out by DCblues) would be easy because then you have the lower A ,whereas it would skip that note low on a regular diatonic .

by far the cheapest & easiest solution would be to play the note sequence an octave up on a regular C diatonic .

http://www.myspace.com/shakeylyman
bottleneck
Regular

Postby gheumann » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:34 am

Or play it an octave up on a Low C harp - and then you get EXACTLY the notes you want.
gheumann
Regular

Return to Blues Harp