Harp mic feedback

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

Re: Harp mic feedback

Postby colmanL » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:57 pm

to make it simple, turn treble off, middle down to 2, bass up,and you wont have any feedback unless something ain`t
set up correctly.I`ve been doin this for 40 yrs. using, fender champ,silvertone,fender twin,and a 2-10 musicman.
and i`ve had nothing but honkin` tone through Me and the amps...
colmanL
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:21 pm

great analogy greg! and i'm with you also colman. the issue here is trying to convince a career guitarist to do anything like this. we have a gig next saturday at a different place and we'll see what happens then. this guy is a good friend and peer but he sure has his own opinions on guitars, amps, and how they relate to a p.a. so we'll see if we get a repeat next weekend!
jbone1
Regular

Postby too2tall » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:22 am

I really enjoy running thru the PA myself. Here is how I approach it. I like my mic on a stand so I can also use hand cupping techniques to get more variety of sounds. I run my 545 to a delay pedal then thru a tube preamp. I run one line out to the PA or DI and have sound man adjust monitor till we get a little feedback then drop it back with some buffer zone. I run my other line out to my amp which I line up with my ear and not the mic. This way I hear me and the rest of the band can hear me too. The biggest problem I run into is when the band continually cranks it up as the evening and the alcohol progress..lol.
too2tall
Regular

Postby jbone1 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:21 am

it seems we'll never resolve the creeping volume syndrome. very few bands can keep stage volume at a reasonable level as the night progresses.
jbone1
Regular

Postby gheumann » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:58 am

Too2Tall - I read abut a lot of setups. Most of them sound like wankers who have no idea what they're after. Yours on the other hand sounds freakin' fabulous. Tube pre? 545? Split to the PA AND an amp so you can hear without monitors. I LOVE it.

Where's your band? I'd come just to hear that.
gheumann
Regular

Postby too2tall » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:20 am

ghuemann thanks for the compliment. Right now you'd have a long way to go as I am currently living in Japan...lol. Home is Austin were I cut my teeth learning from guys like Walter Higgs and Gary Primich and have sat down and chatted with James Co. When I go back home to visit I love to sit in with old friends and play. Unfortunately ASCAP has run a lot of the small venues out of business and is taking anybody to court who doesn't pay, but still lots of great venues left.
I have an extreme amount of fun playing with my Japanese musician friends here and when I first moved here 3 years ago was pleasantly surprised at the competency of their playing. I sit in with Jazz bands mostly and play blues with a couple of bands in the Tokyo occasionally.
One of my favorite musical experiences happened on night in a city in the Niigata Prefecture called Nagaoka. I was playing with a Jazz band and they introduced this tiny (4'10") Japanese girl that must of weighed 90 lbs. soaking wet. We played "Love me or leave me" and I thought "not bad" and then the bass player started breaking down into RESPECT and I swear that little tiny girl sounded like Aretha Franklin...LOL. I nearly fell over that someone that tiny could have a set of pipes on them like that. Anyway a great moment and one I will always cherish.
If your ever in Japan give me shout and I will show you around. Some really cool places and great music over here if you know where to look.
too2tall
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:38 pm

Hey tootall, that sounds like a quality solution you got there.

I ran in to a soundman in town the other day who gave me his opinion on this subject. He told me a lot of soundmen just dont know how to set a harp mic up properly through the pa, and some of the little clubs and bars I play have terrible PA's, the lack of headroom in many places is what causes the distortion that leads to the feedback.

So maybe i should try to get some better gigs before buying any new gear. Although I could probably get my hands a on wee tube pre-amp for not much cash....
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby too2tall » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:26 am

Always ask the sound man to cut back the mids some and the highs a lot and kick up the bass a little. Doesn't solve everything but it sure helps. I did a gig with a hard rock band a couple of months ago. No preamp just regular mic to PA set up. I got up to play one song that I did the studio work on for their cd and told the sound man what I just told you and he dialed me right in. Even in a small venue with a hard rock band blasting away I got by even though mostly I heard myself through the mains. I knew the song well enough to just play what I was suppose to and not improvise to much.
too2tall
Regular

Postby JakeyVimto » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:48 pm

I will try that tootall, although I am wondering if maybe even the smallest venue in japan might have a better pa system than most of the bars i play in. Swear to god, I spend half my time trying to avoid getting shocked off of my vocal mic. I cant see a society that embraces technology like the japanese putting up with those conditions. But all brits are a bit traditional, I wouldnt be suprised if some clubs i play in were still coal-fired :wha:
JakeyVimto
Regular

Postby too2tall » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:21 am

Jakey...LOL ..yea your right about the UK but I will tell you that I had a great time jamming with bands in Manchester a few years ago. I still stay in touch with several of the musicians I met and befriended there. Check out www.myspace.com/rockharpman and you can see some of my pictures from the Pleasure Bar and Thirsty Scholar in Manchester. Really good times.
too2tall
Regular

Previous

Return to Blues Harp