BLT Settings?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

BLT Settings?

Postby dcblues » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:46 am

I bought a used Danelectro BLT Slap Echo pedal this weekend. It sounds pretty good with my amps, but I'm not really sure how to set it right. I seem to get either too much echo or almost none at all. How do those of you who use one set it?
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Re: BLT Settings?

Postby Bournio » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:29 am

I don't have one... but it's fun with slapback on any instrument to try and get it recognisable. I think i read something about 30-80ms for thickening sounds up. Less than that for a sound that's close to doubling, and more to get a BIG sound.

If you're using it between the mic and the amp, remember you don't want it 100%wet...
Bournio
Regular

Postby bosco » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:57 pm

DC-

I've used a BLT for about 8 years now. I leave the Mix and Repeat settings both at about the 11 o'clock position and leave them there. Incidently, I believe these were the settings recommended by Doc Mojo when I first read about the BLT on the Harp Primer that was on the old site. Works for me.

Be sure to use a Danelectro AC/DC power adapter (or similar wall wart w/ minimum 200 milleamps). Mine used to eat 9V batteries by the carton until I ordered the power adapter.

Bosco
bosco
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dcblues » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:48 am

Thanks Bosco, I'll try that.

When I bought it, the store didn't have any adaptors available, but I plan to buy one. So far I've gotten about 3 hours of gigging with it on one battery, and I always carry spare batteries. I've been used to playing dry so long that I can get by on a gig without the pedal, but it's nice to have that effect.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:37 pm

Mebbe those things aren't that accurate, which seems odd... I've used one for years as well, and I dial 'em both at about 9 o'clock, and it's plenty for me. It could be just a "season to taste" kinda thing. I can sure as hell get plenty of delay at 9. I'm sure it partly depends on what amp yer pluggin' into and how you eq that.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:34 pm

With just about any effects device you use, the room acoustics will also play a role in regards to the settings because what may sound fine in one room will sound like crap in another.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:35 pm

dc, I've given it a little more thought, and I think you should dial the repeat to "0" and play with the delay first. You really don't need any repeat, although I guess I use a little. If you can't get a discernible delay set at the 8 or 9 o'clock spots, I'd ask to try out another one at the music store (if they're stockin' 'em). I do think it's all relative though; I know some good harpers who use way more reverb than I'd ever consider, but they make it work for them. Oh, and I'd definitely get the wall wart for it. Batteries are a needless hassle. I use a 8 outlet power strip, with 4 spots big enough for wall warts and 4 conventional sized. It's better to have more outlets than you need. Happy harpin' bro'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby barbequebob » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:36 pm

Reverb tends to work better when you don't overplay and make really good use of dynamics, something too many players make little or no use of. You don't want to set it up too deep, but again, it also depends on the room acoustics and every room's acoustics are different and so the setting in one room often won't work right in another.
barbequebob
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Blues Harp