is this a good scale?

The lowdown on the Mississippi Sax. Just for Google, this section is about harmonicas.

is this a good scale?

Postby Derekslide » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:34 am

Is this a good scale to learn?

http://www.harptab.com/blues/scale.shtml
Last edited by Derekslide on Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derekslide
Regular

Re: is this a goodscale?

Postby dcblues » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:44 pm

It's a good scale (or is that "goodscale"? :) to know, but I think it's more important to learn the instrument overall. Learn where the notes are. Learn the I IV V progression in cross harp, and know where the notes and chords for that progression are. Learn to bend, not just for the "bluesy" sound but to get the missing notes you need.

This, from the link you posted, is just about the worst harp advice I've ever read (almost as bad as saying that tongue blocking is useless for blues):

There are some blues notes above the 6 hole blow, but I not fond of the sound of them. You can use the high end of the harp, but the low end sounds so much better. The top 4 holes in a harmonica should be used in first position and then only occasionally.

Learn the whole instrument!

I highly recommend books/cds by David Barrett and Jerry Portnoy. Winslow Yerxa's Harmonica For Dummies is supposed to be really good. You can probably find some of this stuff at your public library (or have them request it for you from another branch if they don't have it.)
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Re: is this a goodscale?

Postby Derekslide » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:46 pm

dcblues wrote:It's a good scale (or is that "goodscale"? :) to know, but I think it's more important to learn the instrument overall. Learn where the notes are. Learn the I IV V progression in cross harp, and know where the notes and chords for that progression are. Learn to bend, not just for the "bluesy" sound but to get the missing notes you need.

This, from the link you posted, is just about the worst harp advice I've ever read (almost as bad as saying that tongue blocking is useless for blues):

There are some blues notes above the 6 hole blow, but I not fond of the sound of them. You can use the high end of the harp, but the low end sounds so much better. The top 4 holes in a harmonica should be used in first position and then only occasionally.

Learn the whole instrument!

I highly recommend books/cds by David Barrett and Jerry Portnoy. Winslow Yerxa's Harmonica For Dummies is supposed to be really good. You can probably find some of this stuff at your public library (or have them request it for you from another branch if they don't have it.)
Thank you DC, right now as you should prabably know I can't afford anything any more since I am going to college and I need all the spare cash I can muster up for supplies & books for college!

Can you post up something for a semi beginner?
Derekslide
Regular

Re: is this a good scale?

Postby dcblues » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:58 pm

Thank you DC, right now as you should prabably know I can't afford anything any more since I am going to college and I need all the spare cash I can muster up for supplies & books for college!

I know. That's why I suggested looking for books cds and other instructional materials at the public library. Get a library card if you don't have one. If you don't know how to search the catalogs, ask a librarian. It's (part of) their job to help you!

I don't really have time right now to post any lessons or anything like that. Jason Ricci, Adam Gussow and others have tons of free lessons on YouTube. Check some of those out.
dcblues
Contributor
Contributor

Re: is this a good scale?

Postby Derekslide » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:05 pm

dcblues wrote:

I know. That's why I suggested looking for books cds and other instructional materials at the public library. Get a library card if you don't have one. If you don't know how to search the catalogs, ask a librarian. It's (part of) their job to help you!

I don't really have time right now to post any lessons or anything like that. Jason Ricci, Adam Gussow and others have tons of free lessons on YouTube. Check some of those out.
Thank you very much for your help mate!

If I remember correctly looking up a book is quite easy at the library unless they have changed it over the years.

I actually like the teachings of Jon Gindick
Derekslide
Regular

Return to Blues Harp