Acoustic Bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Acoustic Bass

Postby MakaInOz » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:41 am

The younger of my two bass players is doing some busking in a duo. She's interested in an acoustic bass to go with her mate's acoustic guitar. I've got an opportunity to get a Monterey MB-08EN at a reasonable price, but I've got no experience with acoustic basses.

Anybody know about this one?
MakaInOz
Regular

Re: Acoustic Bass

Postby multisounds » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:30 am

Hi Mak,

Glad to help! :D There are several acoustic bases with alot of brands that I cannot recall, however, I myself was playing some at a music shop the other day and I'm really starting to like their "neck action" and lighter feel about them. I've no doubt they can rock up as well. What I suggest is you look carefully at the craftmanship of the whole body structure and make sure there are no dints or scrathes first.

Secondly, have a close listen to the sound they produce as some are "fatter" than others dues to hollow wood body. I would recommend a lighter sound to medium for busking.

Thirdly, the price! They can range from $300-$800 and the difference in sound is unique although you won't hear it straight away. I'd go for something in the $400-$700 range for longevity and variability to achieve soundscape of different genres to play at a given notice for night club gigs as well. But if economic downturn is affecting you go for the lower price tag :D

Lastly, treat them with utmost care as they can be very fragile and won't take too many bumps continuosly. The brand I'd look at is "crafter" as I think it's most underated.

cheers
multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby leftieray » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:51 am

The Monterey are usually of good quality. A fellow bass player has one and prefer it to his electric most of the time. One thing I would suggest I'd get it set up by a top guitar guy. To get the action and internation correct. My Daughter has a Ashton acoustic bass and until it was set up properly it kept going out of tune.
Leftieray
leftieray
Regular

Postby oleman » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:01 am

When not playing my standup, I play a fretless, acoustic/electric. It is almost impossible to hear unplugged.
I really think size matters. A big box should produce more sound and probably sound better.
oleman
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom