Alone Again

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Alone Again

Postby BobHolland » Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:27 am

I don't know what it is but it seems everytime I get comfortable in a music situation, something happens.
You may have read about my friend, in my duo, passing away last weekend. I'm not a singer or even a passable guitar player, but a bass player. Over the past 8 years, I have helped start up 3 different bands & once it gets on the right track either I get pushed out or someone dies. I'm starting to think it's me. I'm the only common thing in all of these situations. I don't think I'm that bad of a bass player, I get along with just about everyone, but I am getting older (everyone is). I'll be 60 in May. Been giging since 1965, quite active. I must be just too ugly or somethng. :wha: :blink:
BOB
BobHolland
Regular

Re: Alone Again

Postby multisounds » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:38 am

Hi Bob,

Ahhh geezz! You don't need to feel bad about band(s) falling apart. Afterall, you can always start another, but then again, what if that one falls through as well? Age has nothing to do with music because music doesn't really have too many age boundaries although some people doing PhD research on musicology might argue otherwise.

Well, at the moment I'm jamming with 2 bands and it seems one of them is going ok but the other is abit slow in getting things done. However, I'll keep my options open and perhaps just start something with a musician or two naturally if it comes along. But Bob, I think it's important to have plan B in this day and age as I said earlier, everyone jams with everyone and there is very little loyalty factor now. So, my advise is keep forming band or you liking and hope for a great break!

The resort is getting a computer software and play with that all day :D , although some people can do that till eternity-LOL :mrgreen:

cheers
multi (bass, guitar, piano extrodinaire!)

ob bwt, fender p or j bass is coming along fine, the shop will have it in stock in 2 weeks-but they said that last time I checked-has to shipped form USA. :o
multisounds
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:46 pm

I think it's time to do some thinking about the whole situation.
I will not be posting for a while.
So goodbye for now.
Hope to be back in the future.
BOB :( :( :(
BobHolland
Regular

Postby jeffl » Sat Apr 25, 2009 1:38 pm

Bob, you gotta give yourself time to grieve about the loss as well. There's a natural process to go through in these situations and it is not healthy to shortcut it or deny it. And there's nothing wrong with taking a break, even if it isn't by choice. I know you know this stuff, but when it's us, instead of somebody else, it's a whole different matter. Don't worry about your musical shortcomings..many of us share them and it just means we depend on others more for our musical fulfillment. For example, I'm a harper sideman; I haven't learned enough lyrics, nor am I a good enough singer to front a band, so I have less opportunity. And, I'm only a marginal keyboarder, so that creates more limitations. I've found I have to reach out more to other musicians if I want opportunities, and I have to be in places where musicians hang out, which means going to listen to groups who have alotta musician friends. I've had times where I didn't play out much, but eventually the situations arise.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mike932 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:41 pm

This always cheer me up. I have been fighting cancer for about five years, life is more fun than we give it credit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo
mike932
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom