Brand new worn out p-bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Brand new worn out p-bass

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:48 pm

I saw in the MF catalog a brand new "Road Worn" P and J bass, also there was a strat and tele. These basses were built worn down and you can have it for only $1200.00. I read the article and they are built with a "reverse" finish at the Fender plant in Mexico. A $1200.00 bass from Mexico? Maybe actual cost will be a few $100 less but still a $900.00 bass from Mexico? An American bass, brand new, can be scored for around a thousand. Am I missing some thing? Did the article go over my head? I don't go for that "old" worn out look in my jeans or any thing when I buy them new. I ain't paying good money to have someone age the item. Perhaps I'm to poor and practical. Yeah, my two basses have dings in them and I can remember how they got there. The blackie toppled over about a month ago and smacked the legs of a cymbal stand. I remember gasping when I realized it was my bass and then running over and checking it out as tho it was a person. Sure enough, a big ding on the back side of the neck about half way up. I don't feel it when I play it but it's there. The back of the blackie is scratched and scraped from the snaps on my Roy Rogers western shirts. Oh well, it's my guitar and I wear them shirts. The red one has a black pick gaurd because the cord got trapped in a drum rack about three years ago and snapped the flimsy white pick gaurd. The red one is a Squire and blackie is a MIM. When I am done playig these two, blackie for gigs, the red one for practices, I will have them dings, dents and scrapes to remind me of the times in the practice rooms, the bars and the stages I will get to play on and have played on. I treat my guitars very well but like Forrest said "it happens".
bigdaddy
Regular

Re: Brand new worn out p-bass

Postby ricochet » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:46 pm

Paying extra for a messed up guitar is something I'll never do. I really wonder about the folks who go for the fake antiques.
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftieray » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:57 am

Maybe there's a market out there for these worn out basses. similar to SVR and Clapton strats that are on the market, to cater the wannabees. Also do you buy a real vintage that is in pristine condition or has worn hard use?
leftieray
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:06 am

I don't want an old worn out axe anymore than I want a new worn out one. If it's worn out in my hands that's one thing, but buying it off someone else is another. That old guitar of SRV's looks like a piece of crap. I don't want it, but if it were somehow given to me I'd sell it and make some bucks.
ricochet
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:42 am

I like the look of vintage worn out guitars. :D But I agree, $1,000 for a worn out guitar from Mexico is terrible. My Strat new was hardly (if at all) worth the $349 I paid for it new. That's why I put new pickups in it and rubbed the neck down until the finish was smooth enough to play. No way would I shell out an extra $650 for the same quality in tone and playability for it to look aged. And I have a feeling that since it's from Mexico, the aging process won't look too real. A guy I jam with has a 1962 Fender Strat (from the Custom Shop) that is relic'd and it looks exactly like some original vintage Strats I've seen and played. But they are also upwards of 2k.

I've got some scratches on a few of my guitars (especially the Les Paul) from the snaps on my shirts too. Adds character. :lol: And shirts with snaps are just downright cool. 8) I need to go clothes shopping and get some more. I love 'em.
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby leftieray » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:43 am

Here in Ozzie a Mexican J or P basses start around A$1400 dollars and a US model is A$2500 up A$4000. So hen they bring out factory customs like Jaco etc they put a lot of bucks on them, not worth it I say. I picked up a 70's jazz "leftie" for A$750.00 cheap here cause it a leftie. I reckon the brand new worn basses have they market, but I wouldn't buy one. I like my basses shiny :D
leftieray
Regular

Postby leftyguitarman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:38 am

leftieray wrote:I picked up a 70's jazz "leftie" for A$750.00 cheap here cause it a leftie.

I wish lefty guitars were cheaper here in the States. If they were, I'd have too many to fit in my room. I can barely fit all eight that I have in my room. I don't know what I'm going to do when I have to move into a dorm. :(
leftyguitarman
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:35 pm

I was in Guitar Center yesterday getting me a kick drum mic for my bass amp. Got a nice Audix for $99 that goes down to 30hz. Any ways, there was one of the Road Worn Teles there for $999.00. I check it out and there is no way I'm spending a grand on that thing when an new American Tele is around the same price and made in America, not Mexico. I can't get over the Mexico connection. That guitar might be a good deal for $300.00. I looked thru a catalog while the dude was fetching my mic from the back and there was a section on these Road Worn guitars. It had four Strats lined up and four Teles and basses and the wear pattern was pretty similar on each instrument. They might of held it against the sander a few seconds longer where the arm rests on the guitar but the nicks were in the same spot. The wear patterns were close to identicle. I thought it looked stupid. Also, a grand for a MIM guitar is rediculus. I did notice my MIM P bass has gone up in price.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby leftieray » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:27 am

Do't know if this is true, but I heard that the Mexico factory is only 50 miles from the US factory ? That's got to be better than China or Asia.
leftieray
Regular

Postby oleman » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:41 am

Why pay extra for a road worn axe when .50 worth of sand paper and about 10 min. you saved yourself about $400 bucks.
oleman
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:42 pm

At last night's gig the drummer shows up with this MIM Tele that some dude had made "vintage." He wanted to know if he had made a good deal, he traded a 20" bass drum he had for it. This Tele was a 2002 made vintage by someone named BEAR which he had engraved his name and year on the back of the head stock. It was done well. I told the drummer he should change the saddles and string tree with some new updated ones, they were pretty rusted. The point is that this Tele looked a lot like the Road Worn ones that Fender are offering. I told the drummer that if I get to play for another 20 years and play this bass, it will never look that worn out because I take care of my guitars. My MIM P might get nicked, scraped and dinged, it might even get the finish rubbed off from my right sleeve but it will never look like it spent a winter face down in the middle of the back yard. I, too, like the bass that I am playing at gigs to shine also. I told him he made a good deal.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby oleman » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:49 pm

bigdaddy wrote: but it will never look like it spent a winter face down in the middle of the back yard. I, too, like the bass that I am playing at gigs to shine also.

Funny you should mention that...I had a tele stolen by some kids and they stashed it behind a Presbyterian church in some rocks and it stayed outside for over a year. One of the kids that stole it fessed up and told me where it was; when I retrieved it, it was in surprisingly good shape even after being snowed on, rained on and 100+temps at a mile high in the Rocky mts. The finish was dull and some cracks but still played fine.
oleman
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:12 pm

The world isn't making sense anymore. I got home yesterday and found the new MF catalog in my mail box. I rush into the house excited to see all the new items and which one I might buy. I got to lokkin' and a standard MIM P-bass is going for $619.00. They jumped a few months ago from $399.00 to like $449.00 and now this. Is it becasue of our new President and his average intelligence? Did the stimulus bill do it? What on earth can make Fender sell that Mexican manufactured bass for so much. Wait, maybe it's not Fender but MF doing it. It has to be a conspiracy. The good old days of buying a car or a Fender P-bass for a few hundred dollars is gone. Maybe that's the funeral all them people are sad about on the cover of Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band!
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby BobHolland » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:01 pm

I just remembered, I bought a new Fender P Bass in 1965 for $289.00 plus tax including case. Back then Fender made 2 basses, a Precision Bass & a Jazz Bass. The only options were different colors. But in 1965 that was a lot of money for a bass guitar. I've been told by some people that even back then there were a lot of Mexicans working at Fender. That was in California, USA. Possible they still employ Mexican labor at Fender USA. Probably Mexican labor in Mexico also. :roll: :wha: :roll:
I do own a 1969 Reissue Fender MIM Thinline Telecaster Guitar. I like it just fine.
I think the Made In Mexico Fender Guitars are a good deal compared to the Fender Custom Shop prices.
I also own a Custom Shop Fender Relic Jazz Bass. I have been playing it for the last 12 years & it still looks just like it did when it was new. :wha:
BOB
BobHolland
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:29 pm

I've heard sometimes prices for goods and services go up over time. Apparently this is nothing new. I bet it's because Obama didn't wear a flag pin.
CashWiley
Regular

Next

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom