Which would you buy? Scales

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Which would you buy? Scales

Postby The Saint » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:51 pm

I'm going to buy a "Gigbag Book of Scales" but have a question about, if I should buy the bass specific or the guitar version. Are my bass scales the same as the lower 4 strings of the guitar scales? Tabs are always a pain to read for those of us with poorer eyesight, and they haven't come out with the large print versions yet. The bass book is a quicker read. The other side is: it looks like the guitar book would cross right over for the 6 string basses. Is that the case?
The Saint
Regular

Re: Which would you buy? Scales

Postby oleman » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:56 pm

For what it's worth....if I had it to do over again; I would learn how to read music notation, bass clef, and forget about tabs entirely. But I never practiced scales in the first place so.....
oleman
Regular

Postby The Saint » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:21 pm

That's my intention. The books have both the musical notation and tabs. I working on reading more the notations because, I can see that better. Just have to get to where I can read it quicker.
I'm looking at a lot of piano music and trying to get accustomed to reading bass and treble clef.
The Saint
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:19 pm

At www.all-guitar-chords.com there is a scale generator. You put in what key and then what scale you want, you can even change the tuning to what you want and then hit go and it will pull that scale up for you. I have used it many times and told friends about it. Sure it's for six strings but I just ignore the first two strings or blow them up and cut 'em off. You can print these scales also. I'm just a blues bassist that works in bars. I memorized the major and minor pentatonic and just wing the rest. Haven't had to play a song yet one of them two didn't fit well.
bigdaddy
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom