My basses

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

My basses

Postby lpdeluxe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:45 pm

I finally figured out how to post pics. I **know** everybody wants to see my gear.:D
lpdeluxe
Regular

Re: My basses

Postby mike932 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:48 am

Way cool, love the fretless. My fretless has sissy lines.
mike932
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:33 pm

Thanks. I saw one like this at Ishibashi Music's Japanese website, but before I could order one Fender told them they couldn't sell new Japan-only basses outside their country. This one's a Fender Standard FSR with a Warmoth neck.

I spend most of my bass-playing time with it now. I had a fretless Jazz, but the lines annoyed me. Once you apply yourself it gets easier...although I confess that I used pin-striping tape to mark the fret locations on the side of the fingerboard.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby mike932 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:46 am

Pinstriping is a good idea. I have thought about learning the upright and using those glow in the dark dots for markers. I like your choice in cabs, 4x10's seem easier to dial in a good tone and bust through the mix easily. I have an old Fender 4x10 bass tube amp, I think it's called a bassman 10 or something like that, it's not the desirable Bassman of the 50's. I have no problem in mid sized clubs with it.
mike932
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:58 pm

The only problem with the pinstripe material is that it's wider than a fret: I used silver tape and put a Sharpie dot where the center of the fret would be.

I notice newer fretless basses (Godin and others) have markers that look like real short versions of the lines on lined fretless necks: they are visible to the side and for maybe 1/2" on the fingerboard surface. If Warmoth had offered that as an option I would have gone for it.

I loved the 410XL, but it killed my back, so I replaced it with a 115TP (51 lb vs 88). The actual rig was a lot heavier, because instead of the Hartke 20 lb head in the pic, which I had just bought, I was using the cab with a 44 lb Music Man HD130 head. If I find a lightweight 410 I'll be tempted to go for it, but my band broke up and I'm just playing for fun these days. Actually, I gigged not with this rig, but with an Ampeg B100R 115 combo. It had a line out (and our PA had subs) so I just plugged into a channel on the board and used the Ampeg for a stage monitor.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby kwill » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:19 pm

I just got my '59 EB0 back from the shop and it looks great. It really isn't a collector piece since at somepoint in it's life someone stripped it and took a can of white paint and a paint brush to it. So I had Pete Langdell of Rigel Mandolins refinish it for me. It came out great.

ImageImageImageImage
kwill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lpdeluxe » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:43 pm

Very nice. I'm a little snakebit on refinishing -- I spent some of my youth custom painting motorcycles and helmets but there are so many restrictions now, and the materials have changed, and I no longer have space to devote to it. When I ordered the neck from Warmoth, I had them finish it.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby mike932 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:49 am

Great looking EBO , always liked their style.
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:53 pm

Mike932, played at Lava Hot Springs again last weekend, man that bar rocks. Mega fun. We got a contact Saturday night to a bar in Sun Valley, the dude said we're one of the best bands he's ever heard live but you know how people jabber and they turn out to be nothing. Are you near there? Ain't saying it will work out but we'll give it try, I'll stay in touch. We'll be back at Lava Sept 5th and 6th.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:51 pm

Hey Bigdaddy,
I will be in Spokane the week of the 5th, bummer, I grew up in the Lava area, the place is fun. Let me know about Sun Valley, I live about two hours away. Sun Valley gigs are highly sought after, the Valley of millionares and trust fund babies. You will have a blast there, lots of lift kits and botox and fools with money. I think Bruce Willis still owns the "Mint" bar in Hailey (a stones throw from Sun Valley). If I could postpone my trip to Spokane I would, partying in Lava is fun, Cowgirls gone wild.
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:23 pm

I know what Sun Valley is. I hope we can get in there. I'm gonna yank on Skinny again this weekend to come over and listen to the 14 songs I recorded when I was with Blues Rock-it. I wrote them songs and I believe in them. Skinny has shown no interest so I asked him if he would play guitar on these songs as I take another singer and drummer into a studio. He said Skinny Bob Blues can do them. I know I have at least ten blues tunes that have something to them. It would be good to play some ballsey blues if we get to Sun Valley. Maybe some one with money would take an interest in the band. Ya never know. We do two of his original blues, one is a joke sort of song but kinda clever and the other really gets down, knock out blues.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:25 am

If I knew which bar I could check with a friend of mine who is in the know about the music scene in Sun Valley. There are a lot of bars in the Sun Valley area which cater to our type of music. The best bars are in Ketchum and Hailey. I want to hear your band and finally get to meet someone from this forum. If I didn't have the trip to Spokane scheduled I would have traveled to Lava on the 5th.
mike932
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:21 pm

The bar the dude was talking about is Whiskey Jacks in Hailey. I know Jack is spelled the way the French spell it. I hope it comes thru but I have found that people talk crap to us to make themselves feel important. We are a good band and last Saturday night in Lava we were firing on all cylinders. It felt good and it sounded good and from the response of the audience they loved it. We put a show on last winter at a joint in Salt Lake and we had the crowd screaming. This dude comes up and gives us $100 to play two songs. We did and then shut down for the night while this dude told us he hired the bands for the Park City Jazz Festival and wanted us to play in the late afternoon, gave us his number but we called and left messages 3 times with no call back. We just forgot about the whole thing. This entertainment business is a trip. I don't believe anyone anymore. If it happens good, if it don't then oh well.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby mike932 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:59 am

I am interested in your band for a couple of reasons, first I like your attitude on this forum and second I am on the Board of directors for the Boise Blues society. We are always looking for out of state talent for our functions and we get calls from people looking for Blues Bands from all over the state. We are non profit , Blues in the Schools Program, and a lot of fun. Just google Boise Blues society , click on "The Board and you will see my smiling face, or maybe it's my backside. I will ask my Bros today who running the music in Sun Valley . We are having a big party today , John Nemeth from Blind Pig will be preforming along with who ever else jumps on the stage. I don't know how much I can do for you but I will give it a try. A recording of your band will help. You guys must be good, Lava is a hotspot and they need high energy bands to keep the partiers happy. The reason we look for out of state talent is that it seems to draw a bigger crowd when they hear the talent is from out of state. Our local Blues bands can cut heads with anybody, but new blood is always a crowd pleaser. We have had Nick Moss and Jason Ricci at a couple of our functions along with other big names. My friend Jim has Tommy Castro booked for a gig this month in Boise.
mike932
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:03 pm

I traded off my Fender '50s Precision in fiesta red in an attempt to bring order to chaos among my growing herd of instruments.

Finally realizing that it was the best fretted bass I've ever owned, yesterday I reversed the trade and got it back. It's fitted with a Basslines (Seymour Duncan) Quarter Pound pickup, Thomastik-infeld Jazz Flats, and the infamous fiesta red.

So now I have three Precisions (out of nine basses I have owned, four of them Ps).

Here's a pic:

lpdeluxe
Regular

Next

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom