New Bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

New Bass

Postby mike932 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:20 am

I did it, I finally did it. I have a Fender (American) Jazz bass, 2002 model. I bought it 3 years ago, I love it . fits me perfect. I have been wanting to buy a fretless to play Jazz with. My mentor is a Jazz master (no kiding, he is on the who's who list of American Jazz guitar greats) suggested an electric fretless instead an upright do to my physical limitations. I wanted a Fender Jaco, but didn't have the bucks. The search was on. I found an American made Fender fretless jazz (2000 model) for about half the price of a Jaco on Ebay.
Okay, my reason for this post, I want this bass to be mine, and I mean mine and the only one like it. Does anybody out there in Bluesland know where I can obtain a custom made pickguard. I want a one of a kind. The bass is black with rosewood linned fretboard. My friends bought me a custom leather black and white strap for my birthday, so I need to keep the color scheme going. The bass is not a high end collectors find and I will never sell it, so it is time to make it mine. also if anybody has any ideas of how to customize my bass other than changing the color please let me know. Thank you.
mike932
Regular

Postby oleman » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:09 am

I have built a few basses for people and one of the popular features was a clear pickguard with photos of the players loved ones laminated between two thin layers of clear acrylic.

Engraved Sterling pickguard

I stripped the paint off my 4 stg and painted it with voodoo colors and symbols. Now I'm thinking about putting it back to natural wood.

Contact a local luthier and discuss with him/her what would be appropriate
for your personality and the type of music you play.

I also play a fretless acoustic/electric that has THANKS painted on the back. I flash it when the crowd is especially enthusiastic about one of our songs. I know it's corny.
oleman
Regular

Postby mike932 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:50 am

great Ideas, I like the clear pick guard idea. Thanks for the ideas
mike932
Regular

Postby lpdeluxe » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:28 pm

You might try these guys: http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguardian/index.html
I recently got a Fender Standard MIM Jazz fretless, and I love it. In fact, I spent most of this morning playing. I just wish I could erase the lines.

I have taken it to gigs, but the guys in the band prefer the Precision sound, so my upcoming project will be a Fender Precision with a fretless (unlined) Warmoth neck.
lpdeluxe
Regular

Postby mike932 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:55 am

I'll do it, thank you. The lines are a bit confusing, but if I stick with it I should be stage worthy with my new bass in about , oh let's say, a century.
mike932
Regular

Postby tim3finger » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:42 pm

In addition to the pickguard swapout, here is another idea. I am personally a big fan of black hardware ( tuners, bridge, knobs ). It totally changes the way your bass looks. Besides changing the look, you can upgrade your hardware at the same time ( Schaller, Gotoh, etc. )

With some judicious shopping on eBay, it shouldn't cost more than $150.00, maybe a lot less. I snagged some original Schaller tuners marked with the Gibson logo on eBay for 45.00. You just have to be patient and wait for the deals to come up.

Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Postby mike932 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:03 am

I like your idea. I am seriously thinking of also making a tele bass, fretless, and making it my one of a kind. I do like black hardware. I tried the black strings, the wrapped ones from Fender, loved the sound, but in a dark setting on a dark fretboard, they disappeared making certain runs a little hard.
mike932
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom