Bass amp

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Bass amp

Postby godinguy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:15 am

Forgive me Brothers, but I have sinned!!
Well, I've gone and sold my lovely Godin LG because I was led astray by BASS GUITAR.
I bought a new Ibanez GSR200FM (flamed maple top). She's lovely.
I'm using a 60W Samick bass amp but I'm looking at a new Fender Rumble 100, or an Ashdown 180W.
Any thoughts on either of these please?
I've read reviews about both, I'm more interested in the general "ambience" or satisfaction level owners might have. I don't gig, just enjoy a wee jam with my cobbers now and then.
Should mention I'm still learning slide on my SX semi-hollow. Will probably cut down to one amp (bass amp), and play the slide through that as well.
Thanks for your thoughts.
godinguy
Regular

Postby kwill » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:45 pm

I play a '59 EBO through a Rumble 100 and it sounds great. The EBO has lots of bottom end anyway and the Rumble makes it sound great...and with the equalizer on the amp it's pretty easy to adjust the tone. I also have a Pignose HOG 30 battery powered amp that I use with the EBO and that's great for portability.
kwill
Contributor
Contributor

Postby tim3finger » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:56 pm

Haven't posted for a while, so, I guess this is as good topic to weigh in on as any.
Which bass amp? Which ever one you like, and whichever one you have usually are good answers. The fender rumble 100 is a good, if not one dimensional, amp. I don't know about the ashdown, except it gets pretty good reviews and is priced right for the power and speaker size.

I personally have a Roland Cube 100, that does just about everything I could want an amp to do and then some. Its drawback is that it is heavy ( 50lbs) to drag around for me, to our gigs. I am an old dude and what is heavy to me, might not be to you. So, I snagged another amp about a week ago and went gigging with it. It worked well, was light, and gave me all the tone I needed without all the extra stuff the Roland has. 10" speaker, 75 watts, four amp models, XLR out, all in a 12x12x12 cube that weighs 25 lbs. What is it? A line 6 lowdown studio 110. for 249.00 at GC. I got mine on their Presidents day sale for $200.00.

Both of the amps you mentioned are big and heavy, if that is not a drawback for you, you can't go wrong with either. I mentioned the two I have because they are great sounding amps, although a little pricey. They will do anything anyone elses amp will do for practice and small gigs, plus the have the XLR DI out to plug into a PA or recording system.

Tim
tim3finger
Regular

Postby bigdaddy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:05 pm

I play thru a Fender Bassman 150. 150 watts with a 12 speaker and only 39 pounds. This amp has served me well at gigs. I play bars and have yet gone half volume on the thing. It has compressor, contour and an eq set up that's cool. I dial mine into the deep freqs. It's around $430.00 but is cetainly well worth it. For outdoor shows I throw a mic in front of it. New Years day I went and jammed with a guy and on my way home the amp was in the back of my Tercel. I made a left turn and the amp rocked back and took out my rear window. It rides up front with me for now on.
bigdaddy
Regular

Postby godinguy » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:30 am

Thanks fellows.
I decided on the Ashdown EB15 180W.
It's made in England, and though heavy (as you mentioned), it does have a nice sound and heaps of control.
I don't go out gigging so the weight is not a problem.
I did try the Fender Rumble 100 but didn't like the sound.
Many thanks for your replies.
godinguy
Regular

Postby wwpete52 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:19 am

I own a Peavey Combo 115 bass amp. It's LOUD! It's also heavy. It weighs 100 pounds.
wwpete52
Regular

Postby mike932 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:59 am

My daughter bought a rumble 100 to use as a keyboard amp. I plug my bass into when she is not around, sounds pretty good. My favorite amp for practice and drumless get togethers is a fender bassman 60, not heavy to pack and it sounds solid. My gig amp ( I only play small gigs) is an Ampeg 210 sp combo, 220 watts , plenty of power and punches over a drummer with no problems. I have heard rumor that fender rumble 100 do not like to be moved around alot, not road worthy, but my daughters seems pretty solid. The red light at the bottom is not something I like , but to each their own.
mike932
Regular

Re: Bass amp

Postby bigdaddy » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:51 am

My Bassman 150 has become to small. I'm going to the Fender tomorrow and order in a Bassman 250 with a 15. I am currently playing through a G&K Backline 600 thru a Peavey 4 ohm cab with a 15. It's got plenty of head room but them Basman amps sound sweet and have a killer compression. Anyway, here goes $600.00 more bucks. My Bassman 150 is now a practice amp and an expensive one at that. I need more power at the shows the band is getting. 250 watts should be enough for these clubs. It's only 63 pounds, I can carry that for a few more years, I think.
bigdaddy
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom