Jump n Blues Bass

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Jump n Blues Bass

Postby lorilu » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:06 pm

I'm getting ready to go pick up this book recommended here from the sheet music store. There's some good videos there from bass day with some funk bass players. I guess I'll have to get out the credit card - again. What's happening with all the bass players out there? Anything new and exciting or not new? I got the Bonnie Raitt DVD from http://www.bonnieraitt.com from Live at Montreux in 1977. Freebo is awesome. Love that guy and he plays tuba! Hope to hear from bass players.
lorilu
Regular

RE: Jump n Blues Bass

Postby bigdaddy » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:45 pm

The bans has it's first audition this Monday. Went to a local bar and talked with the gal that hires bands. I told her we do originals and she got sceptic. I told her ladys, young and old, dance to our music when we played these other two clubs in town. I told her dudes play air guitar when the guitarist is screaming from his instrument. I told her people as young as 10 and as old as 70 have told us what we are doing is great. She wants to hear the band so Monday she gets to. Tomorrow I'm heading back to our somewhat steady gig. I have to ask the owner for a few more bucks tho. I hate to cause I don't think she's making much even now. The rest of the band wants more. Winter is getting near it's end and I want to get the band gigged in Salt Lake.

Books are good to learn by but jammin' to the disc is maybe better.
bigdaddy
Regular

RE: Jump n Blues Bass

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:21 am

Thanks. I have always played to music for drums and then got in the habit of using books to learn stuff I couldn't quite figure out. And cause I'm not in a band now I have to set up a practice that takes me through exercises. It is time to jam on the bass to music. I have learned quite a bit it's all tabs.

Glad the band is still hanging in there and hopefully you're getting the sound and feel you want. That's important. Can you charge an extra dollar at the door for your cover? Bigger tip jar? Someone charming carrying around the tip jar when you guys are kicking ass? But if the band is bringing in customers the bar owner can appreciate that - sometimes. Sounds like you believe in the band and are doing a good job selling it.

Shoot, I gotta break out of my safety comfort zone and play to music. And then with real people again. I played at this place I've been doing a job at this brewery and they had an old Ludwig set up on stage. I played and played and felt better than I have in a long time. Glad to hear from you.
lorilu
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom