Two Bass Guitars

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Two Bass Guitars

Postby r_a_smith3530 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:04 am

I stopped by a local guitar store a couple of nights ago. I was looking at some different bass guitars, and through it, two of them caught my eye, one used, and the other a new instrument.

The used instrument is a MiM Fender Jazz Bass Active Deluxe. It's black (Alder), and has a custom smoke plexi pickguard that replaces not only the stock pickguard, but also the control plate. It also has a Leo Quan Badass bridge. The fretboard is Rosewood. It has a 3 band EQ, a pan pot switching knob, and a master volume control. These knobs all control the two noiseless jazz pickups.

The other instrument is a new G&L Tribute Series L-2000 Premium. It's got a blonde Swamp Ash body and a Rosewood board neck. There are three pots (volume, and two EQ), and three switches (pickup selector, series/parallel, and a three way preamp control - off/on/on w/treble boost) controlling the two MFD humbucking pickups. The bridge is G&L's Saddlelock design.

I like the sound of each of these basses. Although I'm not a really big fan of Jazz Bass necks, I can still live with them. The G&L has the wider P-style board. I think that the G&L has more tonal possibilities than the Jazz Active Deluxe. The fit and finish are excellent on each bass, taking into mind that the Fender is used.

Decisions, decisions!!!

Now, the bad news. In order to finance the purchase of one or the other, I have to let go of my '83 G&L S-500. It's a great guitar, but I just don't find myself playing it that much these days. I'm sure that down the road, I'll miss it, but my focus these days is the bass. To that end, having one electric bass, and three electric guitars just doesn't make sense, and of the three, it is the least played. The shop has offered me what I believe is a fair price for my S-500.
r_a_smith3530
Regular

RE: Two Bass Guitars

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:42 am

Boy, I wouldn't want to have to make that decision. I'm a pretty simple person so I am drawn to simple things myself. I usually go by the gut feeling about whether to buy something because, it's a hecka lot a money for me. If it's not one of those things that is a great deal and if I don't jump on it and drive down the hour each way and spend my precious few dollars then I sleep on it until I know whether I have to have it. That's just me. The bass players are out gigging so getting input might could be worth waiting for.
lorilu
Regular

RE: Two Bass Guitars

Postby oleman » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:25 am

Iv'e never played a G&L bass, but my experience with the mim jazz bass is a positive one. I gigged with one for 10yrs and only changed strings. It was dropped, had a car door slammed on it, drenched many times in beer, hammered on by little kids, played on by hardcore punks and just generally abused but it still sound and plays sweet!!
Iv'e switched to fretless and upright so I don't play the jazz much any more but I still think it's one of the finest products Fender ever made.
oleman
Regular

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom