Acoustic Bass Guitars

A forum devoted to the discussion of playing bass with the blues.

Acoustic Bass Guitars

Postby helena_junkie » Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:54 pm

Hey all,

There just aren't enough posts in this thread...

I'm one lucky sonofabitch as slide players go. My wife has taken up bass and is quite good (and loves the blues like me!!!). She started with an Affinity P-bass pack, and it's actually a nice guitar, but she's been getting jelous at the back-yard jams lately.

Does anyone have any good input as far as acoustic basses go? I've heard pretty much every employee at every local music store tell me that they all suck, that they're really a misnomer, etc...so I've had enough of that advice. Not that those opinions don't count, I just need some constructive input, thanks.

An upright isn't really an option. Does anyone have experience with the reso basses? Any help is much appreciated!

Jake
helena_junkie
Regular

RE: Acoustic Bass Guitars

Postby bluesmcgoo » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:09 pm

Hey Jake!

I got my son one of these...

http://www.music123.com/Olympia-OB3CE-i108843.music

Plays and sounds really nice. He loves it.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:12 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jun-24-04 AT 05:59 PM (EST)]Basically, I haven't run into any that put out a useable unplugged volume.

Olympia's are made by Tacoma, a company I've dealt with - and they are pretty good. Haven't heard their basses, but I like the ofset soundhole idea, and it might work well for a Bass...

Now I'll clam up, otherwise, I'll repeat what your music store clerks have said...
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:16 pm

I've played 'em and enjoyed 'em, but they just don't have any unpligged volume to speak of. So you'll have toi get an amp. And that piezo sound will drive you to tears, so you'll have to get a magnetic pickup. And by that point you might as well have bought an electric bass.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby helena_junkie » Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:18 pm

Thanks all! Yeah, we've looked at the Tacoma/Olympia line. I think they're great, but yeah, they're all pretty quiet. But I mean, a low bass tone would be better than nothing, right? And I do feel bad about leaving Liz out of the acoustic jams...

I've heard the Taylors are awsome, but $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$...typical problem.

I'm pretty skeptical about the reso bass...but she likes the idea, so we're going to find one to try. There's also the big 8 string mariachi thing, but dang, you could lug a 1/2 size upright just as easy!

Thanks again; if anyone can think of any other good tips please pass 'em on.
helena_junkie
Regular

Postby badfinger » Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:53 pm

I've met one or two acoustic bass guitars along the way; I can't say anything about one being better or worse than another, nor have I any opinion on their usefulness plugged and/or unplugged...

But what I can say is they are surely among the most beautiful artifacts you could ever have the good fortune to hold.

That must be worth something.
badfinger
Regular

Postby david » Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:47 am

Has your wife considered an upright bass? They seem to have more volume than a four stringed acoustic guitar. And they are sooo cool. Show her the American Blues Fest DVDs with Willie Dixon playing bass; she'll be hooked.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby richard » Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:14 pm

hey, how you going,
i have a korean made acoustic bass with the brand name of Eston but it might as well be half a dozen other brands. I have played it on several occasions unamplified live in quiet settings and it sounds ok - provided you don't do anything too busy as it is a bit muddy. The low E loses a fair bit of definition as well. i have managed to develop a bit of an upright sound with it, and it also responds well with a pick. Not too expensive, looks nice and the pickup actually sounds good - in fact it would rate the plugged in sound as better than a lot of electrics i have heard. I have also played a 3/4 size model in a different brand that i like because it had slightly more definition - but then you start to get into guitar territory frequency - wise..
Richard
richard
Regular

Postby old mojo » Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:27 pm

I've got a Guild EB-30. BIG jumbo body. With fresh strings, it cuts pretty well, although the bottom ain't near what you can get out of an upright. Got a little Pignose battery-powered bass amp that adds just enough bottom (bass has a Fishman active pickup built in), as long as everybody stays unplugged.

I'm bettin' heaven has a helluva band.
old mojo
Regular

Postby thealmightydave » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:25 pm

I have an acoustic electric squire bass and you can't hear it over other instruments unless its played through an amp but it does have a nice tone when plugged in
thealmightydave
Regular

Postby mike932 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:05 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-06 AT 03:08 AM (EST)]I have an Ibanez 5 string acoustic. If I use a pick I can hold my own in an acoustic setting. When I plug it in it gets really loud, the string noise is bad, I thought it was me, but three other bass players had trouble keeping the string noise down. Not alot of companies make string sets for it, I am experimenting with buying individual strings. It is a joy to play, as far as the neck and frets are concerned. Any suggestions on the string noise problem would be welcomed.
mike932
Regular

Postby lorilu » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:10 am

Plug it in, plug it in. You go girl. (you'll have to excuse me today).
lorilu
Regular

Postby r_a_smith3530 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:21 am

Greetings from the Windy City! Well, I'm glad that you started this thread, as it's been on my mind as well. My best friend and I just started the nucleus of the Crispy Noodle Band, with him singing and playing acoustic guitar, and myself on Fender bass. The music we're doing is a mix of originals with folk/pop covers. Over the summer, we'll be doing at least one acoustic folk fest, and for that I'll need an acoustic bass.

I looked at a couple of them two weeks ago at a local guitar shop. One was a Stagg, and the other was a Samick (Greg Bennett Series). The Stagg was similar to a jumbo, while the Samick seemed like an oversized dreadnaught. The jumbo size seemed more comfortable to play, and as I recall, I liked its neck profile best too.

That all said, like everyone else, I found the volume lacking. Remember though, that low E on a bass is a very big wave of sound, and in comparison, that box is pretty small. There's a reason why upright basses are so big! Volume is that reason.

When it all comes down, the guys at the guitar shop may not have been too far off. Acoustic bass guitar is truly a compromise, and not a really great one at that. I'm looking at them, but I'm also looking at student grade uprights as well!

Good luck whichever route you end up on. Play it loud and play it proud!
r_a_smith3530
Regular

Postby lorilu » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:52 am

I've noticed that the dates on these posts are from a few years back. Did someone bring them from the archives? I never read them and there's some good info.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:12 am

The last time the board came back, some posts reappeared from the past. I posted on one from 2002, which shortly after disappeared again into The Twilight Zone.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Next

Return to Bass - Meet Me At The Bottom