which brand is a good electric keyboard???

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

which brand is a good electric keyboard???

Postby multisounds » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:14 am

Hello all keyboard players!!

So what brand is the "best" for someone like me who's on the lookout for an electric keyboard with weighted 88 keys? I've had a look into the local music shops and other interstate stores here in Oz and the all seem to stock similar products. But to be honest I'm a novice when it comes to electric keys. So here are the brands that I've seen:

1/ Roland
2/ Kawai
3/ Kurztweil (however you spell it)
4/ Yamaha
5/ Casio

I've been playing acoustic piano for along time and this is my first venture into the unknown. Please suggest any of those models or any other you wish is a good buy. Once again I'll take your suggestions and buy it based on your recommendations. Just as long as it's not 12 foot Steinway grand-LOL :D

cheers
multi
multisounds
Regular

Re: which brand is a good electric keyboard???

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:30 am

Naw, you don't want a Steinway. Go for the Bosendorfer Imperial Grand.
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:22 pm

Multi, you can't go wrong with Yammy,Kurzweil,Roland, but I think it's a decision best made by playing the ones you'd consider. There's quite a difference in the feel of the boards, and oddly enough (considering that you're utilizing digital sampling), in the tone. I've played boards in stores for months before making the purchasing decision. Also, if you're gonna play it through an amp, then it's best to try it out plugged into an amp, as well as through the onboard speakers, if it has them. Some boards are way more impressive thru their own speakers than they are when played plugged into an amp.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby multisounds » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:10 am

Hi Rico and Jeff,

Thanks for Bosen suggestion Rico but I need to make a million first :lol: However, I've heard they are one of the top grands in the world.

Jeff, I'm looking into Kurz, Yama, and Roland. But someone suggested (Kawai MP8 model ) and said it is "unbelievable". So I searched the net and found alot of rave reviews about it, so I must give it a try with that as well. These keyboards have come along way with improvements every year to their old models as well.

cheers
multi :o
multisounds
Regular

Postby Jbyrd 88 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:03 pm

I use an 88 weighted key General Music Pro-1 Real Piano. It's made in Italy but distributed and warranted by Peavey. The only problem I had with it was finding the right amp. Most Keyboard amps sounded like crap and the one that sounded best was a tiny (don't recall the model name) Peavey Bass Amp. I talked to a Peavey rep once and he recomended a Peavy KB-4. The KB-4 sounds like it was made for the instrument. The keyboard has 128 sounds but I only use the Wurlitzer, Hammond Organ, and Grand Piano. Since then I bought another KB-4 and play in the stereo mode. Sounds great. I dickered with the guy about prices for a day or two and got the keyboard for $1100 and the KB-4 amps were a tad over $500 each but I have seen them priced lower than that since I bought mine. My only complaint is when it's packed in a flight case with cords and foot pedals etc. it's a heavy booger and takes two to load it in the trailer. But on the other hand, I played a Kurzweil not long ago and it's no slouch either. My all time favorite was a little '62 Wurlitzer, it had a combination of/on/volume knob and a tone knob, The last time I saw it, it belonged to Mussel Shoals and Barry Beckett was playing it.

Good Luck,
jbyrd 88
Jbyrd 88
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:45 pm

I've still got an old Wurly 140B. The keys were about as noisy as a 100 yr. old church basement upright. I liked my 140A better though and shouldn't have sold it. I don't ever use it. I oughta sell it. Those things are finicky; you tune 'em by adding or shaving solder from the end of the tines. I think it has a volume and tremolo knob, but I really don't remember. Ben Folds tours with one (actually two), but he's got a tech to keep all his boards workin' on the road. As for amps, my Crate KX100 sucks imo, as a piano amp. It's fine for organ. My buddy's got a Fender SS bass amp that sounds better with my boards than my amp does, and he bought his from a pawn shop 'cuz it was the only one they had that would do the job. If I had to go out lookin' right now, I'd start with the Motion Sound rotary horn line; they're heavy but compact (and pricey btw).
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Ed Boyd » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:59 pm

What do you want to play? What is your budget? And How many pounds do you want to carry. that is what you need to teall yourself.

The action is pretty much worn out on my stage piano so I am looking getting a new Keyboard. So I have been looking at what is out there.

At the $1200 Price point you have the
1) Yamaha CP-33- Nice action - Nice Piano Sounds .... That is pretty much it. This is a good choice if that is all you want to do but if you need brass section patches etc.... Then You may want something else.

2) Kurzweil SP2X - Does a lot of stuff! The action may or may not be as good as the Yamaha...That is sort of a personal thing. I like the controller features and sound choices better than the Yamaha but it weigh close to 50 pounds where the Yamaha weighs around 30 pounds I think ( You will need to look it up on the websites. )

Around the $1400

3) Roland RD-300gx - I really like Roland stuff.... I am biased toward Roland. Has a lot more sounds than the Yamaha but weighs around 33 pounds and has decent action.

Around $2200 or so
4) Roland RD700gx - What I am getting. I think it is absolutely killer instrument. But it is a shame that you have to step up to $2000+ keyboard to get away from having to use a friggin wall wart power supply. This honks me off. Keyboards 1-3 uses a plug in wall wart power supply.

If weight is no option then the Yamaha CP-300 is nice. (cost about the same as the Roland RD700gx, Has a flat top which is nice and built in speakers.

If all you want to play is piano. The Roland FP is nice. You can try going cheaper with some of the Yamaha P-series pianos. ($1000 and under).

I don't know anything about Kawai. I don't know anything about the new Casio stuff. I had a Casio Proline synth ( CZ-1) in the late 80s but I haven't seen any of thier proline stuff in years.
Ed Boyd
Regular

Postby Jbyrd 88 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:26 pm

Jim Dickinson still plays an acoustic console piano. He's 68 and says he's too dumb to learn to operate an electronic keyboard. He's played with The Stones, The Dixie Flyers, Dylan, and Ry Cooder to name a few and doesn't know how to turn on an electronic keyboard. You might reconsider changing and remain accoustic.....ain't nothing like the real thing.

jbyrd88
Jbyrd 88
Regular

Postby multisounds » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:48 am

Hi Ed and Jby

Well ths for the insight into the keys of today. I mainly play the piano sounds as I'm not in a synth band or progressive rock-LOL. But I gather top of the range keys are good but too pricey.

I might look for a medium price tag and with weighted keys style. But thx for the brands mentioned and I'll probably go with Roland or yammy.

cheers
multi
multisounds
Regular

Postby Sharma » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:03 pm

The Nord keyboards a really nice. Especially for a electric piano and organ sounds. I want one so bad!
Sharma
Regular

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard