dr john's piano style..........

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

dr john's piano style..........

Postby misteranderson » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:30 pm

Hello,

I am a big fan of Dr John's piano style & have started a google group for that purpose:

http://groups.google.com/group/new-orleans-piano

It's a low activity group, but please join in you want. Is there anyone else out there who enjoys & wants to learn that style??
misteranderson
Regular

Re: dr john's piano style..........

Postby jeffl » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:34 am

Heck yeah, I'd love to be able to play that way. I wish I could rationalize the time to learn all that stuff.
That's a noble pursuit yer on me bucko. Plow on.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby misteranderson » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:23 am

thanks....please join the group if you're interested, or let anyone else you know who might be interested-let them know about the group...
misteranderson
Regular

Postby The Saint » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:22 pm

Have you read his Autobiography, "Under a Hoodoo Moon?" You might enjoy it and get an inl;ing on more of his influences.
Mac brought N'Awlins piano style to the attention of a lot a people, but he is quick to credit his influences in music to a lot of great N.O. piano players. That's why he was initially a guitar player. He says there were so many great piano players.
The Saint
Regular

Postby misteranderson » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:01 pm

yeah,

I read the book, it was great. I love the way he talks, it just cracks me up...
misteranderson
Regular

Postby The Saint » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:40 pm

Ain't nuttin phunny about da way he talks, specially if you a Yat. You see Yats are native New Orleanians. The name stems from the common greeting used my many nativesm "W'Yat." A contraction of the question, "Where are you at?" People from up north, around Baton Rouge, started calling people from New Orleans "Yats." Anyway you must have heard some of the Fess's music and Henry Butler. Check out some of Art Nevilles work with the Funky Meters, he bad!!!! Sings his a.. off too!!!
The Saint
Regular

Postby Slim » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:08 am

Also check out James Bookers stuff if you like Dr. John. Wow, folks think he talks funny? LOL! You should hear my family on da west bank, dahlin! Or some of the girls from down in da parish.
Slim
Regular

Postby ricochet » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:27 am

I like Fess' stuff a lot.
ricochet
Regular

Postby The Saint » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:03 am

Heck Slim, I was born in Da Devil's Elbow(Do you know where that is?) and moved to Algiers before I was 12. I'm a Rank Skank from the West Bank. I crossed the creek on the ferryboat to go to more Mardi Gras Pa-rades than you could imagine. I just might show up there next (Fat) Tuesday and burn the levee down.
Don't talk bad about da gurls down in da parish, I got some kissing cousins dat live down dere.
The Saint
Regular

Postby Sharma » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:12 pm

Love Dr. John. I bought his instructional dvd a few years back which is a essentially just an extended interview with him accompanied by transcriptions of his playing. Pretty insightful but his stuff is surprisingly tricky. Need to spend some dedicated time working on it.
Sharma
Regular

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard