New guy here to learn

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

New guy here to learn

Postby bob » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:03 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-05-05 AT 06:04 PM (EST)]Hi all,

New guy here. Looks like a really wonderful forum. I've played piano most of my life, some college education, played in bands, etc. I've been looking for a place to learn more. I've been trying to work up the chops. I went about 10 years without touching a piano or writing music. Then I did Christian music (Gospel mostly) for about 10 years. I have a Yamaha P80 and I really love it. I'm a computer programmer during the day...
=Bob=
bob
Regular

RE: New guy here to learn

Postby jeffl » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:22 pm

Hi again, Bob.... if you're still doin' some gospel or church music, maybe you got some more things for us; a guy goin' by Ricochet does alotta music work at church, and I've done alot of it in the past, and there's some others around here,too. Jump on in!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bob » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:33 pm

>Hi again, Bob.... if you're still doin' some gospel or
>church music, maybe you got some more things for us; a guy
>goin' by Ricochet does alotta music work at church, and I've
>done alot of it in the past, and there's some others around
>here,too. Jump on in! -Bubba

Hi again, Bubba... Yup, I still play Gospel, it's one of my favorites -- I try to write a little too. I'm trying to improve my chops. I've been listening to Michael English today and I really love his version of "Blessed Assurance" a real killer. I don't know who is playing the piano on that track. Put some Ray Charles in the player today too.
=Bob=
bob
Regular

Postby jeffl » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:44 pm

Bob: you'll meet Doc Williamson here soon enough- I swear he's got a bathtub shrine of Ray in his backyard; you'll see that if you check the keyboard threads. He's a great guy, and will kill himself for ya', if you need any help. I played keyboard and harp in a Christian rock/blues band in college, and I still like jammin' gospel tunes, and especially Rev. Gary Davis stuff. I play harp on his tunes, cuz I jam with another piano player.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:23 am

Glad to have you here, Bob!

As for church, I'm mainly a bass singer in the choir. I play a slide guitar solo now and then.

I'm learning some keyboard stuff now. Started off with piano lessons as a kid, but it was the usual stuff aimed at working you into classical music, which just didn't grab my fancy much. My wife sold our piano to a local college last year as the kids weren't using it any more, but I've just bought a Hammond that's going in the spot it used to occupy.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bob » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:17 pm

>Glad to have you here, Bob!
>
>As for church, I'm mainly a bass singer in the choir. I play
>a slide guitar solo now and then.
>
>I'm learning some keyboard stuff now. Started off with piano
>lessons as a kid, but it was the usual stuff aimed at
>working you into classical music, which just didn't grab my
>fancy much. My wife sold our piano to a local college last
>year as the kids weren't using it any more, but I've just
>bought a Hammond that's going in the spot it used to occupy.

Yeah, I started at the piano when I was about 7 years old. All the traditional stuff. Lost interest when I was in high school. Stopped the lessons, but I continued to play, practice and learn modern techniques on my own. I wish I would have found the right teacher back then. I work at a university now (computer programmer) and I have buddies in the music department. I really don't take enough advantage of my environment though. I've been thinking about taking all the jazz theory courses here.
=Bob=
bob
Regular

Postby meilankev » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:30 pm

Bob,

Welcome to this wonderful site (I'm a rookie myself). Your knowledge level is way past mine, so it's doubtful I can give you any insight. But I really like Gospel music as well. It is so easy to take a Blues reading on many Gospel tunes.

Of course, the only time I played/sang in church, 10-12 of the church members actually got up and walked out during the song I performed ("The Old Rugged Cross"). I was told later that they said they were offended at my interpretation (which included an extended improvisational interlude). Not to mention, I completely ignored the melody line in my singing.

This was back in 1981, when I was stationed in the USAF in Germany. Perhaps church folks today would be more receptive to my reworking of a gospel standard???

Naaaahhhh. :)

Kevin
meilankev
Regular

Postby bob » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:39 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Apr-06-05 AT 12:01 PM (EST)]>Bob,
>Welcome to this wonderful site (I'm a rookie myself). Your

Thanks for the welcome!

>knowledge level is way past mine, so it's doubtful I can

There are plenty of holes...

>give you any insight. But I really like Gospel music as
>well. It is so easy to take a Blues reading on many Gospel
>tunes.

Gospel, as I know and love it, borrows heavily from both blues and jazz. I'm not much into jazz, yet... I love both black gospel and southern gospel and blends of the two.

>Of course, the only time I played/sang in church, 10-12 of
>the church members actually got up and walked out during the
>song I performed ("The Old Rugged Cross"). I was told later
>that they said they were offended at my interpretation
>(which included an extended improvisational interlude). Not
>to mention, I completely ignored the melody line in my
>singing.
>
>This was back in 1981, when I was stationed in the USAF in
>Germany. Perhaps church folks today would be more receptive
>to my reworking of a gospel standard???
>Naaaahhhh. :)
>Kevin

I think it depends on the church :) Some churches I've attended would have thrown you out, others would have applauded. Still others would have applauded when they threw you out :)
=Bob=
bob
Regular

Postby ricochet » Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:51 pm

Last July 3 & 4 I played the prelude to our (rather conservative) church's patriotic musical program. My own 3-verse slide guitar interpretation of "The Star Spangled Banner." Sort of tells a story wordlessly, with a "straight" verse interrupted by two huge bangs where the last note should have been, then a somber minor key version morphing into an upbeat bluesy version with a traditional, grandiose ending. I feared I'd have walkouts, having a few nights before heard a long spontaneous rant by a lady in the choir against SSB singers at ballgames putting their own interpretation on it, and a similar one earlier by the sound guy (a Korean War vet) against interpretations that he felt dishonored the National Anthem and therefore the nation. But lo and behold, they liked it!
:7

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby bob » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:11 pm

At one church, my family and I sang trio. A church member was very upset and accused us of "bringing Hollywood" to their church.
=Bob=
bob
Regular

Postby jeffl » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:40 pm

Nothing is more sensitive, or subjective, than worship, and therein lay the difficulties with unusual variations on traditional music. Many choirs in traditional worship services have served up a steady dose of "Negro Spiritual" arrangements, for years, and congregations have become very accustomed to hearing them. It is the responsibility of church musicians to continue to subject the congregations to forms of music that is "fresh", or we'll find ourselves out in the cold. The Catholic church went into panic mode when it admitted that its worship music was outdated.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bob » Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:38 pm

No "Negro Spiritual" arrangements in the Presbyterian Church I attended as a child... But oh, those Baptists!
=Bob=
bob
Regular

Postby doc williamson » Wed May 04, 2005 3:59 pm

Wow, it has been a long time since I have been here. Thank you for the kind words Bubba. My whole music room is a shrine to St. Ray Charles.

Growing up in the south, Mom, Dad and my sister would drag me along to Methodist services on Sunday. When I got into high school I played with great singer and went to his AME Baptist church. What a revelation. I loved it.

The praise type music I am most enjoying now and studying is Sacred Steel. These are Pentecostal type traditionally black churches and most are in Florida. They feature a Lap Steel guitar instead of an organ and the players are very bluesy even on traditional Christian songs.

Bob, I will help you all I can. I already like your style of playing and your song writing abilities.

http://www.DocWilliamson.com
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard