Ray and Nina

Tickle the ivories? Here's the place to talk about it.

Ray and Nina

Postby dblues » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:31 pm

I e-mailed this question to Doc, but have not heard back so I will ask here: Does anyone know if Ray Charles and Nina Simone ever played together? Is there a recording? That would have been a helluva concert IMHO.
Later,it's time to make some music
dblues
dblues
Regular

RE: Ray and Nina

Postby doc williamson » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:26 pm

I am sorry I haven't answered your email. I am really backed up now on emails, getting a music store open and gigs so I haven't been able to spend much time online. Plus, I want to ship some things to friends here on BRB and I am slow getting that done.

As far as I know Brother Ray and Nina never recorded together and I have never heard of them doing a gig together.

If you would like to hear Brother Ray with a strong jazz female vocalists. I recommend the album with Ray and Cleo Laine.

YIKES! I just looked for it on Amazon and a used copy is $500! I guess I could part with my LP for $450 :-) I wish I still had a turntable and a way to burn a CD (my burner is broken)or I would make you one. Here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

OK, I looked at the other female vocalist that I know Ray recorded with and that is Betty Carter. Probably their best known duet is "Baby It's Cold Outside." This is a classic album with many added tracks and all for just $8.99. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

It has seven reviews on Amazon and all of their customers gave it 5 Stars! These are apparently very tasteful people who know great music when they hear it.

Here's a backup review, if you don't take my word about how strong this CD is:

Amazon.com essential recording
Ray Charles's decision to cut an album of duets with then-rising jazz singer Betty Carter defines the phrase "unerring instinct." Charles responds to Carter's gorgeous voice and compelling melodic changes with some of his softest singing; you might say that this already masterful conduit of emotion got in touch with his feminine side on this 1961 date. The opening and closing cuts of the girls'-names theme album Dedicated to You, another '61 LP that fills out this 78-minute disc, demonstrate Brother Ray's touch for transforming unlikely material into expressions of his own funky essence. His amused big-band celebrations of "Hardhearted Hannah" and "Sweet Georgia Brown" sit alongside sublime portraits of "Stella by Starlight" and "Ruby" on an underappreciated set that's a perfect match for the Charles-Carter sides. --Rickey Wright

http://www.DocWilliamson.com

"I chose to sing the blues." Ray Charles
doc williamson
Contributor
Contributor

Postby dblues » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:38 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Jul-28-05 AT 09:48 AM (EST)]Thanks for the info Doc. I have that Porgy and Bess album.

dblues
dblues
Regular

Postby dblues » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:44 pm

By the way, I found one on e-bay for $1.99. Can't believe someome is trying to sell @ Amazon for $499.99

dblues
dblues
Regular

Return to Piano, Organ, & Keyboard