Jessica

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Jessica

Postby CashWiley » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:46 pm

I hate putting out my recordings, because I'm not really doing anything polished...or even finished :) But I've got some friends on another site, and we've been discussing a few things and one of them had never heard someone outside the Allmans play Jessica, the song I'm currently working on, so I uploaded a work-in-progress version for him and figured I'd link it here. I like to record songs I'm working on to listen back and see if I'm playing it as good (or bad) as I think I am, and find weak spots.

This is still a very rough version for a couple reasons. The intro and outro of the improv solo section, it's just rough yet. It's played to the Jazzfest 2007 version with Chuck Leavell sitting in, so there's way more rhythm parts than I'm used to, so I don't have that all plugged in yet. But I do like that version for that reason, lets me stretch out on rhythm for a bit, so eventually it'll be a cool section.

Finally, the main reason for this work-in-progress, I think I've mentioned here that I'm a majortard. I took shortcuts learning guitar when I was a kid and learned pentatonics and minors. I suck at majors, and while I'm getting a bit better, I would rather focus on musicality than remembering where my sweet spots are. So I'm using the improv section here to work out the kinks, a few times I do slip into minor pretty badly, because I was starting to let go and just jam it out...woops.

Technically, it's mixo, but de-accentuating the 7th makes it close enough for gubmint work. Yes, I have to make disclaimers for everything I do, I'm a failed perfectionist :) I'll also take feedback on the tone, it's my 61RI Gibson SG - Fullfrive 2 boost channel - Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb with some vibro on it, set to about 6.

Here ya go.
CashWiley
Regular

Re: Jessica

Postby maxx england » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:20 pm

Not bad at all, certainly more tuneful than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdHwfHZlkz8

James May from BBC's Top Gear set about producing Jessica (their theme tune) with exhaust notes. And yes, it was bloody awful :mrgreen:
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Recording