Will this get me started ?

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

RE: Will this get me started ?

Postby boogiechillun85 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:12 am

Lori, I'm sorry that you're sick, but glad you took the time to listen to my mp3s. Glad you like them, and I hope you feel better soon. =) I'm just getting over something myself..
When you rebuy the Rory Block cds you should get the originals too. I mean, she does a good version of "future blues." I think I do a good version of "future blues." But neither of us can touch Willie Brown's original. The same goes for Charlie Patton.
I actually saw and met Rory a few weeks ago. Exactly what I expected, what a nice woman!
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:52 am

>>>If you can pull teeth out of horses and tie tags on dead biker's toes you can jam.

But I never pulled a tooth outta a dead biker!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:09 am

Thanx Jim and LoriLu for the encouragement!
My wife and I had a chat about it today and she was quick to point out that quite often when I start to play around people it gets quiet and some even move in closer to listen.
I mainly play my own stuff with a borrowed lick here and there but I don't sing and I don't "cover". Common comments are, "Oh wow, who's that"? When I reply "Me" they seem surprised but complimentary. "Play something I know" (To which I usually sarcastically say I don't do "Bee Gee's")! And my all time fave.... "Play something we can sing too"! And I can't leave out, "Ya gotta play some good early 70's rock"!(These are usually the ones that know the intro to Stairway, Freebird and Heart of Gold but nuttin else!
I'd love to hang out w/ people like you Jim as well as the Zak's, Dan's, Grady's, Walter's et al. The guy's that do this for love and money! LOL
In anything I do I always advance greatly when I'm around those more accomplished in whatever trick or trade!
I spose my main hindrance is nuttin but fear and the only way thru a wall of fear is "THRU"!
Thanks again!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:04 pm

Mickey,
That is just the best thing. You are a nice and humble person(don't change too much when you get success). Music is so personal and when you put it out there it IS scary. You go for it.

Jim, No way. I love Rory. She seems to have gone through a lot and stayed positive and creative. I will listen to the originals but in the past I just liked to hear women interpret them I guess. Billie Holliday, Bessie Smith, etc. I have compilations of women in blues. Honestly, I like the new stuff a lot. I love finding new artists and seeing what they do with music. It's usually along the line of blues but maybe pumped up or electrified or rocking. Good vocals that are real and some good guitar and drums are a big attraction for me. I'm usually pretty open to music. But I have to want to live with it and listen to it. Sad and dreary get to me after awhile.
lorilu
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:45 pm

Honestly, if you think it's sad you're not listening properly..
As for playing covers/requests/pop songs.. right after I first started taking guitar lessons I went to see my teacher, Ed Wilson, play in Pennsylvania. He did a few songs and then this GORGEOUS blonde walks up to him and smiles and says "do you know any Billy Joel?" He just looks up and goes "I don't play that #####."
Guess I took that one to heart..
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:01 pm

>>>(don't change too much when you get success).

Oh man.... I was hoping to have a VH1 "Behind the Music" done about my meteoric rise to success and the evils of sex, drugs and rock and roll! :+
Actually I have no plans of quittin my day job and will continue to pursue my music for the pleasure it brings ME!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:05 pm

>>>"do you know any Billy Joel?

My kid does a totally bitchin twist of "Piano man" on guitar and harp along w/ some grundgy/hardcore style lyrics! His punk band also does a ver. of "Ring of Fire" thats purdy fun too!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:52 pm

Around here a favorite for putting a twist on is "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'."

Haven't heard anybody do a blues version. Yet.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:44 pm

>>>"These Boots Are Made For Walkin'."

That Jessica Simpson video could hurt a guy! Ummmm um ummmmmmmmmmmm!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:04 pm

That sounds like something I should see.

ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:47 pm

By all means Rico! But have a Nitro pill handy!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:15 am

Ok, Jim, I'm gettin out the old blues originals. I guess it's time, I've been lazy. You convinced me. The contrast of your story about the blonde chick and then Mickey and Rico on Jessica Simpson and Britney was too funny. You know they're gonna be playing anything they're asked to. I don't get the whole Jessica and Britney thing as I find them very fake and not real talented and I actually feel embarassed for them. I cannot watch and when my daughter was young refused only Britney. I bought Eminem (I love him), and other stuff. To make up for not buying Britney I bought Christina Aguilera before she became Xtina because I thought she was actually talented. There are so many beautiful and hot women out there what in the hell do you guys see in these plastic lookin girls? Don't they look silly? Kind of goofy. You need to get stoned and watch em. I'm gonna look for some women that I think are beautiful and see what you guys think. This may not matter to you but many of these girls have bones broken in their faces and bodies, plastic injected into their lips boobs butts and implants in chins cheekbones. They starve themselves and spend the rest of their time in gyms and spas. The saddest part is that they are role models for little girls who then go on to do some of the same things. It's funny for a man but for a woman and mother of a daughter it's different. We don't think that way although we do care for our appearance. As in a healthy way. The role models or people I find hot might look good but they have something going for them. Not trying to ruin your fun. Someone posted a picture of a Ana Popovich who I had never heard of. I tried to find a soundclick on the sites but so far haven't heard her. She's got it goin on. Hello! She's real and she's sexy and she actually has talent.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:18 am

You know I still like you and you can still get all excited over Britney and Jessica if that's the best you can do.
lorilu
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:31 am

Oh, Lorilu, I know you're right about all that. And I'm hardly obsessed with Jessica Simpson. I don't think she's got a lot of talent, or other admirable qualities as a role model. But she can look pretty good, no doubt. Britney? Just a redneck woman.

ricochet
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:01 am

I'm just bein a perv LoriLu! If I had a daughter I'm sure I would be as protective as you! As for my personal taste.... I likes dem natural gals that look just as good in jeans, t shirt and ball cap as they do in a ball gown! Fact is, I'm married to that kinda woman!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Recording