Will this get me started ?

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Will this get me started ?

Postby moreb » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:10 am

Never done any recording aside from the microphone that came out of the side of my cassett player. I'm just looking to record myself playing over some backing tracks and a few original compositions.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=240893

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you
moreb
Regular

RE: Will this get me started ?

Postby dfduck » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:16 am

Thats a nice little kid for the price.

I personally don't have much faith in the newer Tascam rigs. They are built really cheap and break easily. I doubt you will be happy very long with the microphone that they include. It is very tinny sounding. That 60 minute tape is waaay too long for multitrack recording. The shorter the tape the better; long tapes have a tendency to stretch much more easily than shorter ones. I use 10 minute tapes, but 5 minute tapes are even better if you're song will fit in that time span. I get those short high quality tapes at tape.com

I picked up an older Tascam porta3 mkII for $50 on ebay. But I already had all the other stuff that kit includes. As I said.. that looks like a pretty nice little setup for the price. I might suggest getting a boom mic stand to go with that.
dfduck
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:02 am

I've got one and it does ok for what I do which is mainly makin "Notes" of licks I come up with! I haven't even tried to do any multi trackin yet! I also use my SM57 mic instead of the one included! Head phones ain't to shabby tho!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:53 am

Mickey, can we hear these recordings of yours?
Jim
http://www.soundclick.com/jimnjblues
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby moreb » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:39 pm

How can I take an existing vocal track from a CD and record my guitar playing with it? Will this device allow me to do that or is it much more complicated than I think ? Thank you
moreb
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:38 pm

>>>Mickey, can we hear these recordings of yours?

Thanks for askin Jim but I'm just not ready to unleash outside my home or small circle of friends and family! I'm pretty confidant among my local peers but the thought of ME for all the world to hear, warts and all.......... SCARY!
I truly admire you guy's that put up SoundClicks!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:25 am

It's gonna happen, Mickey. You're gonna do it one of these days.
lorilu
Regular

Postby mickeypainless » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:51 am

Oh I dunno LoriLu.... I'm purdy satisfied maken my cats wail, dogs howl and watchin my wife's face screw up like she's cuttin onions! Never have had the desire to be on stage or play fer strangers! BUT, who knows!
Thanx for the vote of confidence!
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby boogiechillun85 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:36 am

Have you ever tried it?
Jim
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby mickeypainless » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:02 am

>>Have you ever tried it?

In a limited kinda way Jim! I've picked up a guitar at small parties in front of a group of mixed friends and strangers. I have a buddy that I jam w/ among friends at BBQ's during spring and summer but I don't play well w/ others! LOL
We have a few standards that I can follow pretty well on and I do ok at pickin up the solo on some.
My main problem is that I am WAY to critical of my ability and have a hard time relaxin and gettin in the groove when I'm nervous!
Who knows man, it may happen someday but till then I love "Playin with myself"! :+
mickeypainless
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:36 am

Interesting. Not the playing with yourself part. Getting nervous. I think that is the hardest thing to get over. It can keep you from moving forward (me anyway). And a lot of people have a few drinks or whatever to get themselves up there. I'd rather do it on the natch. I miss the days when I didn't think about being judged. I'm trying to figure out when that stopped. I would get up at jams and play and join a band and learn the songs. I had a few people do a few things and shot me down pretty well. I wasn't arrogant and I wasn't trying to take anyone's gig I just liked playing. Now, it seems like there's just always someone who wants to be mean. Some of my 'friends'are the worst ones. (my sham friends) Is it my town? Am I just paying off a karmic debt? I think one of the things I'm supposed to learn is to get over that crap. I would give a lot to get my head back to that place again. Playing with people is a blast. It's awkward at first till you get used to it. Then it's gonna be a whole new world for you. The Jam. If you can pull teeth out of horses and tie tags on dead biker's toes you can jam.
lorilu
Regular

Postby boogiechillun85 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:23 pm

The thing you've got to keep in mind is that most people do not play instruments, so any sort of proficiency you have is automatically impressive to them. And then also remember that anyone who is better than you and then points out to you that they are is just a jerk. ;)
I've got a friend around here, Jane Gilday, who told me when I first met her something along the lines of "obviously performing is really important to you, but you've got to play like you don't give a damn."
Jim
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:56 pm

>And then also remember that anyone who is better than you and then points out to you that they are is just a jerk. ;)

In my limited bit of playing in front of others, I've found that the most enthusiastic audience support comes from professional musicians.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:30 pm

Just gotta keep on trying. It's quite a challenge. I would say I'm in more of a hostile environment than supportive. But going out of town found people to be more supportive. And this site is really good for that.
lorilu
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:04 pm

Jim,
I'm here at home sick and just on this damn computer off and on all day. This gave me the chance to listen to your soundclick after your supportive and encouraging words. I really like it. Like your voice, and I like the guitar. It made me pull out my poor old worn out Rory Block CDs. Now if I can just get all the scratches out. I haven't listened to the old blues for awhile. My favorites are her Best Blues & Originals 1 & 2, though I have many of the others. I dig your voice it sounds good.
lorilu
Regular

Next

Return to Recording