Ex 'Pressions Session

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Ex 'Pressions Session

Postby allanlummox » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:12 am

I was booked for a recording session at Ex'pressions - a college for digital media here in the East Bay. A free shot at a multi - million dollar studio, but the engineers are students. My crack about it has been that I'm going to the Barber college for a very big haircut.

Well, the kids did a pretty good job. Given the facility - and my requirements, which were to record the vocals and guitar "LIVE", Together, and with as much attention given to the interplay between the two, they simply set up a forest of mic stands - one of them asked me what I thought of an SM57 with a pop screen beeing "somewere near my mouth - since you're loud" and I told him I had gotten great results like that in the past. Of course, that was because I HAD to do that. I was broke.

I had a Neumann tube mic. Rode was in there. Sennheisers were ready. I mean there were 11 mics set up all around me. The teacher reminded the students that if I was PAYING for the session, they'd be wasting my time. I smiled and banged on the guitar, waved my hands every time they tried to put a mic Too close, and sang snatches.

The students were surprised that I didn't want to work on one song over and over- poor hometraining, I guess. I wanted to get as many tracks as possible - I'd rather pick and choose between songs than takes.

The teacher made a crack that if they wanted to record every song I had ready, we'd be stuck in the room for days on end. Made ME feel damn good. Also made the kids move faster...which made me feel old.

4 hour session - 11 tracks. a good beginning for my next CD. Listening to it now on my computer speakers. My bud, Mike Hudson, a damn fine Slide guitarist, said I should give it a few days, but I have a program.

I want to take it to a local small studio, do some EQ, make a few decisions about compression, and record 2 or three tracks with a different guitar (my old Gibson flat top), and then take it to the guy that mastered "Please and Thank You"

I'm still strapped for production costs, but I could manage a small run and still pay for the royalties for the covers.

In the mean time, damn, I played the Farmers Market this morning, recorded in a beautiful room this afternoon, heard my buddy's show this evening and I'm listening to some surprisingly good mixes this morning. With Whiskey in the Jar.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Ex 'Pressions Session

Postby allanlummox » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:21 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-06 AT 06:21 AM (EST)]Oh, and I can't decide between the album titles.

"Streetwise"

or

"Heart of Iron - The Slide Guitar of Dan Lange"

Suggestions, helpfull or not are welcome.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby nizer » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:26 pm

Streetwise
nizer
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:31 pm

Yea, that was the " working " title.

But the timing - the moment - i'd love to put the whole project in the can, get it to the point of production, and put a heart on it while Jane is out of town. As a Valentines day gift.

Not gonna happen, but I'm miserable to be around while I'm doing this kinda crap.

Yea, I should stick with Streetwise.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:49 pm

Streetwise, for sure.

I'm anxiously awaiting its release!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Return to Recording