Studio fun

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Studio fun

Postby allanlummox » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:22 am

I spent the afternoon at a recording studio in the hills in Oakland, recording acoustic slide - on a Hip Hop song.

About 2 years ago, I recorded a slide track on a demo for a band called "Flipsyde". Steve Knight and I decided that we'd love to do more recording together at some point.

Now theat Flipsyde is back from opening for Snoop Dogg and the Black Eyed Peas, we're working on some songs together.

Todays session was also contributed to by No Doubt alumnus, horn player Steve Bradley.

The next session is on Monday.

http://umusic.ca/flipsyde/

http://flipsydemusic.com/main/

http://www.myspace.com/flipsyde
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

RE: Studio fun

Postby bluesmcgoo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:51 pm

This sounds like a really interesting collaboration.

I hope you'll post something when it comes out. I'd love to hear it.
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:47 pm

More recently, I've taken the 11 tracks I recoeded at Ex'pressions and eq'd them - gotten them a step closer to the Mastering process.

Those songs were all recorded with the National. I'll be recording more tracks, using my old Gibson, this week at a small local studio.

One of these tracks is a version of "Shovel" - some of you will remember Little Boy Blue's cover of that - that I'm also planning to record with a combo - drums, upright, sax, female vocalist and very understated guitar.

That's the plan, anyway. The sessions to record "Shovel" deluxe will be at the same studio where we recorded the "Hip hop" slide stuff, yo.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:50 pm

The exciting part - the hassle - is that I'm writing the song out - I've got good chord charts, but I wrote it out in Standard Notation and I'm working out a very clean version in Allegro - notation software.

I'm not really a sight-reading guy, so it's making my brain stretch a bit.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby spud camp » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:49 am

>I'm not really a sight-reading guy, so it's making my brain
>stretch a bit.

Im pretty sure it would make mine explode. Good on ya man, cant wait to hear. Any chance at some stage time with Flipsyde? That would be interesting.
spud camp
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:38 am

Very exciting. I need more time to listen as our computer is real slow and my daughter is pressuring me so she can use the phone. But she says the guys in Flipsyde are cute so there's that. I think it's so good that you are open to all things.
lorilu
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:09 pm

Had the session with the Gibson yesterday - at Joan Pez' studio in the Oakland Hills, where the session with Steve from Flipsyde was held - and it went very well indeed. We still have to schedule the full band session - but I have all the players lined up, including a trumpet who's recorded with Ry Cooder, among others.

I'm elated. Walking around high on my own juices.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:41 pm

That's really terrific, Dan! I'm very much looking forward to the new CD!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:54 pm

Me too.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:30 am

Did a longish session mixing - since all the tracks so far are "Live", and feature nothing but Guitar and Vocals, I thought this would be a much shorter session - live and learn. (ok, less "Mixing" than eq and compression - but still time consuming)

We have one more track to record, and I THINK I have the musicians I want lined up - now if I can only get them scheduled to be in the same room at the same time, I can track the silly thing.

Wound up leaving the studio (in Oakland) just after Public Trans had given up. Walked 20 blocks to Connolly's, and got there at drunk throwing out time. Lisa decided Bryan was sober enough, and in enough need of Bar karma, to have to drive me the rest of the way home...I really love my bartenders.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby whitewolfofsc » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:52 pm

That is cool as hayell! I can relate to the mix, as I used to be a rapper back in the day (my 20s and early 30s). I now play blues as my main music, and when I record songs, my hiphop side often slips out and people can hear how hard my beats and basslines are. Keep on playing, and showing that the styles can indeed mix well.

WW
http://www.dulcimers.tk
whitewolfofsc
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:18 am

Finally started mixing the material from the last recording session. Now I have time constraints - we have travel plans and I want the CD back from the mastering studio before we leave.

I'm really happy with what we've got going on with these tracks - I just want to get it over with while I still like the songs.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:47 pm

Lookin' forward to it, Lummo! :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:19 am

Last session - at the Mastering studio!

Jeff Bowron at Shakesound (who mastered "Please and Thank You") put a lot of time over the past couple of weeks into getting this one ready, and now it's there.

Monday, I'll get it out to the pressing plant, and then I'll have some idea of the release date. (it's for sure that I'll have moved to Portland by then, but I will be scheduling a Bay Area release event)

I'm very pleased with the sound we got.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:40 pm

AH, and I gotta mention - the deluxe version of Shovel was not recorded - one of the concessions to the current weird schedule.

The whole CD, which is to be entitled "Streetwise", is solo acoustic guitar and vocals - except for one tiny section, culled from the Steve Knight session, where we layered tracks of the National against the Gibson.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Recording