Mini recording studio

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Mini recording studio

Postby lorilu » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:02 am

I saw a small keyboard with recording features somewhere and have been trying to find it again. Anyone have an idea of what this might be. I googled and did find a recording forum that I thought I'd share with y'all. http://www.recording.org. Haven't visited it yet, though.
lorilu
Regular

RE: Mini recording studio

Postby lorilu » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:39 am

Yeah, it's a smallish keyboard and looks like it has all kinds of recording features on it.
lorilu
Regular

Postby stumblin » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:32 am

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-06 AT 01:33 AM (EST)]Have you tried googling the manufacturer's name and the item's model number?
stumblin
Regular

Postby bluesmcgoo » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:41 pm

[updated:LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-06 AT 10:43 AM (EST)]Well, my guess is that it doesn't really have "recording" functionality. If it's on a keyboard, it's probably a sequencer. This really doesn't record, per se, it stores information on note pitch, duration, dynamics, etc., and then is able to actually "play" the keyboard...if you see what I mean. Sequencing equipment looks a lot like recording gear, though.

I'm sure there are hundreds of keyboards these days that have sequencing features. Years ago, however, Sequential Circuits produced a keyboard called the "Sequential Circuits Six Track" that had six virtual tracks of sequencing. These capabilities are dwarfed today, but they made quite a splash at the time. I know I wanted one. Never did get one, though.

http://213.129.73.14/aa_dt_new/hardware ... -track.gif
bluesmcgoo
Contributor
Contributor

Postby lorilu » Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:16 am

Thanks Mcgoo, that's a pretty cool deal there. I wonder what it was that I saw. Stumblin, I didn't get the manufacturer's name or anything - it just kind of popped up somewhere and I thought it was a kind of mini recording device able to record some tracks on top of the keyboard track. I'll keep looking for the right thing. Ideally it would be something not too complicated that you could record vocals, bass,drums and a lead instrument as piano or guitar or both. Oh, and price. Bummer.
lorilu
Regular

Postby whitewolfofsc » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:59 pm

Was it the Yamaha qy100 that you saw? It is a small box with 16 tracks, effects for the MIDI sounds and drums, and also effects for playing a guitar or running a mic through. I have used Yamaha QY series sequencers since they introduced the qy8 in 1992.
There is also a Tascam pocketstudio 5, and a users group and radio station on soundclick for users of that recorder. It is a real digital recorder that you can play instruments into and sing, and it also has a MIDI sound module in it to make backing tracks if you so choose.

WW
http://www.dulcimers.tk
whitewolfofsc
Regular

Postby lorilu » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:59 pm

Thanks, Whitewolf. I will check into what you mentioned.
lorilu
Regular

Return to Recording