My Warren Haynes Blues Solo :)

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

My Warren Haynes Blues Solo :)

Postby Derekslide » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:52 am

I think everyone will like it this time I really practiced my ass off.

and I think it's the best stuff I've ever done so far !

By the way your hearing the key of E and G & the key of A

Derekslide
Regular

Re: My Warren Haynes Blues Solo :)

Postby Derekslide » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:57 am

By the way do I sound more relaxed when playing now?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:07 pm

Anyone?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:42 am

You're beginning to get the idea Derek, but jus' beginning. You're only gonna invite pain by soliciting remarks from others well before you've practiced enough to get outa yer bedroom. It doesn't mean anything bad, but you got alot more woodsheddin' to do before most people are gonna want to hear your stuff. Keep divin' into it and don't worry about what anybody else thinks...just learn your instrument. If it was so damn easy there wouldn't be guys like me... still learnin' after playin' harp for about 40+ years. Keep goin' bro' !
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:47 am

jeffl wrote:You're beginning to get the idea Derek, but jus' beginning. You're only gonna invite pain by soliciting remarks from others well before you've practiced enough to get outa yer bedroom. It doesn't mean anything bad, but you got alot more woodsheddin' to do before most people are gonna want to hear your stuff. Keep divin' into it and don't worry about what anybody else thinks...just learn your instrument. If it was so damn easy there wouldn't be guys like me... still learnin' after playin' harp for about 40+ years. Keep goin' bro' !
Thank you bro, I will, I wish I listen to you guys about 2 years ago because I have some major catching up to do.

When some one say's Don't worry about the gear, DON'T Just play until you can stand lisiting to your self, I made that horrible mistake 2 years ago and now I'm reckifiying that mistake and stopping my self from not buying any more gear, unless it might be a pick, cable, strings. And so on.

So please listen to everyone when they say don't buy gear all the time.

By the way Jeff can you tell I'm getting more relaxed? And I'm finally getting timing with bts?
Last edited by Derekslide on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:17 pm

Maybe you're getting more relaxed in your entire life Derek, and it's bleeding over into your music. That's my guess anyway. I've got a good friend whom I've played music with- off 'n' on - for about 30 years. His theory with art of any kind is to think like a catfish and lay on the bottom of the river and let the river come to you. It's a generality, but it works to a great extent. Your heart wants you to be a decent musician, so explore your instrument and the music and have fun doin' it. As with anything that you really enjoy, time will fly by and you won't even notice the improvements you make in your music...they will mostly be gradual improvements, with an occasional "eureka" moment when you figure out how to do something you've been struggling with. And, like you say, after a coupla years, with luck and some talent, you'll be able to say you've come a long way. It never ends.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:24 pm

jeffl wrote:Maybe you're getting more relaxed in your entire life Derek, and it's bleeding over into your music. That's my guess anyway. I've got a good friend whom I've played music with- off 'n' on - for about 30 years. His theory with art of any kind is to think like a catfish and lay on the bottom of the river and let the river come to you. It's a generality, but it works to a great extent. Your heart wants you to be a decent musician, so explore your instrument and the music and have fun doin' it. As with anything that you really enjoy, time will fly by and you won't even notice the improvements you make in your music...they will mostly be gradual improvements, with an occasional "eureka" moment when you figure out how to do something you've been struggling with. And, like you say, after a coupla years, with luck and some talent, you'll be able to say you've come a long way. It never ends.
That's a great point Jeff, but I think from the last video post I've came a long way's and I will keep on rockin,

Now is it rockin or Rocking?

LOL anyways thank you bro.
Derekslide
Regular

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:31 pm

I really like that catfish analogy!

It's good advice.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:40 pm

ricochet wrote:I really like that catfish analogy!

It's good advice.
Ditto :)
Derekslide
Regular

Postby CashWiley » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Nice mellow little solo there, DS. All the nuances will come to you in time, you're definitely heading in the right direction. I'll echo what Jeff said, no matter how long you play, you'll never be where you want to be. This year is my 25th on guitar (on and off), and I'm still learning some basics like fretboard theory!

Btw, I missed it if you've posted before, what kind of SG are you playing? I have the 61 RI and it's the best guitar I've ever played by a long shot.
CashWiley
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:04 pm

Derek, have you had somebody to jam with? Playin' with other humans has always helped my music. Hell, I got in a band back in 8th grade before I even knew what I was doin'; we practiced for almost a year before we got our nerve up to take a dance gig at school. Then I found a friend who shared an interest in music with me and we hacked our way through all kindsa stuff, tryin' to figure out how to play. It always motivated me more to be workin' on tunes I was gonna end up playin' with somebody. I'm still no virtuoso on harp, but I don't do it for a living either, and I'm basically a habitual mimic on on keyboard. Bottom line is, if you keep immersin' yourself in the music, you'll get there little by little. I wouldn't try to play stuff that's too far past my abilities though...it might frustrate you too much.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:27 pm

CashWiley, It's a special limited edition Sg standard with blue metallic paint job. and I have to agree with you, The sg sounds like its in your face and many guitars don't do that, Hell I like my sg better then my teachers $5k USD prs.

Jeff, I've been trying to get hooked up with someone who wants to play but every time I'm running into people who are quiet a bit younger then I am and who are into bob Dylan or bob Marley. That's not for me I'm trying to find people who wants to play classic rock, southern rock, blues, and so on. You get the point.

By the way I betcha you had an awesome time playing didn't you Jeff when you were in school?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby Derekslide » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:38 pm

I'm also finding out I'm liking Southern Rock & blues rock a lot more then the classic temporary blues.

It's weird huh?
Derekslide
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:48 pm

I think we kinda got a "pass" on the quality of our music from our friends, 'cuz there weren't very many bands around...they had jus' been spinnin' 45rpm vinyl records at the dances up to that point, so they were real tolerant of us and were just happy to have a live band. But yeah, it was fun. I was the chairman of the social committee on our senior high student council, so I started bookin' lotsa bands into our auditorium programs and dances. I found out real quick that people would pay a little more to hear good entertainment. Any place we walked into that had a piano became an instant jam..I'd pull out a harp and my buddy'd sit down on the keys and we'd schlock our way around until a crowd gathered. We'd take over the practice halls at college too, and jams would happen. My buddy'd take his 6-string acoustic everywhere with him and if we weren't throwin' a frisbee or a football, we were jammin' harp and guitar. When we got into college we'd talk the night janitor at the school into lettin' us into the auditorium and we'd sit down on the big Steinway grand and let the music echo all over the hall. We jus' played all the time. Pretty soon we got another guitar player and started playin' any kinda blues we could figure out and started writin' tunes for our instrumentation...harp,guitar and keys...no bass or drums. You jus' gotta keep your eyes open for people who'll play and hope to get lucky. Even to this day, I find that if I wanna play more, I gotta network a little and insert myself into situations, or jus' take advantage of invites that I get, rather than be too lazy to show up. I've been real fortunate though, 'cuz I hooked up with a whole buncha guys I used to play with 25-30 years ago who still live in the same town, and we jam every week...been doin' it for about 15 years.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Derekslide » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:39 pm

jeffl wrote:I think we kinda got a "pass" on the quality of our music from our friends, 'cuz there weren't very many bands around...they had jus' been spinnin' 45rpm vinyl records at the dances up to that point, so they were real tolerant of us and were just happy to have a live band. But yeah, it was fun. I was the chairman of the social committee on our senior high student council, so I started bookin' lotsa bands into our auditorium programs and dances. I found out real quick that people would pay a little more to hear good entertainment. Any place we walked into that had a piano became an instant jam..I'd pull out a harp and my buddy'd sit down on the keys and we'd schlock our way around until a crowd gathered. We'd take over the practice halls at college too, and jams would happen. My buddy'd take his 6-string acoustic everywhere with him and if we weren't throwin' a frisbee or a football, we were jammin' harp and guitar. When we got into college we'd talk the night janitor at the school into lettin' us into the auditorium and we'd sit down on the big Steinway grand and let the music echo all over the hall. We jus' played all the time. Pretty soon we got another guitar player and started playin' any kinda blues we could figure out and started writin' tunes for our instrumentation...harp,guitar and keys...no bass or drums. You jus' gotta keep your eyes open for people who'll play and hope to get lucky. Even to this day, I find that if I wanna play more, I gotta network a little and insert myself into situations, or jus' take advantage of invites that I get, rather than be too lazy to show up. I've been real fortunate though, 'cuz I hooked up with a whole buncha guys I used to play with 25-30 years ago who still live in the same town, and we jam every week...been doin' it for about 15 years.
Very cool, Well I'vbe talked to a friend of mine "my nephews Grandpa, and he wants to jam with me and his son by marriage, So I'm going to be set up this summer since his son by merage is a drummer you all are going to see vast improvements this summer I guarantee you that
Derekslide
Regular

Return to Recording