Computer Recording- Who's using what ??

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Computer Recording- Who's using what ??

Postby grady » Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:43 am

I've been having a blast with Recording Software.

I use Cakewalk Sonar 6 PE for recording Guitar/Vocals
Reason for making Drum Tracks from scratch
Acid Pro 6 to make Loops

The drum programs I use are Addictive Drums and EZ Drummer

I have some programs I haven't tried yet.
Adobe Audition
Mackie Tracktion 3.0
Pro Tools 7.4
Sony Soundforge 9.0

How about Virtual Guitar Rigs ???
I have the entire Amplitube line
Native Instruments Guitar Rig
Steinberg WARP
Rock Amp Legends

I have way too many Effects plug-ins to list here.
Just put it this way, if it's out there, I've got it...LOL !!

I experimented with using the USB port to connect Music gear to the Computer, didn't care much for it.
I have a Hi-Def Sound card and drivers so, that works best for me.

I want to get one of those ART Tube Pre-Amps and try that.

So, what you guys using ??
grady
Regular

Re: Computer Recording- Who's using what ??

Postby 1dustyeod » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:57 pm

I'm using pretty much the same stuff in my rig Grady. Just got finished upgrading my computer to a dual core. Got dual flat screens. TERRATEC MD88 (8 in, 8 out), Aardvark (8 in, 8 out), added another ADAT (now there are two for 16 track simul), a FOSTEX 16 track 1/2 inch reel 2 reel. All of it is here.... http://www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue ... eUnit.html

I love this thing... I need another patch bay for it all to really come together but I'll probably get it next month. Stop over next time you're in Charleston and we'll jam a bit.

T
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby bkg » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:39 pm

I GAS'd on recording stuff for a while, and finally ended up with something that works.

For software:
Sonar Home Studio 6 (the cheapo version!) - add in the same drums kits/VST's - Addictive and EzDrummer
RiffWorks Standard 2.0 (easy and fun loop-based thing)

For hardware:

Behringer Xenyx 1204 mixer (the heart of the whole setup), patched into the pc's line-in, soundblaster x-fi card

for electric: Line 6 Pod X3 Live, XLR into mixer (not usb, it's buggy)

for acoustic: Sure SM81 (small condensor) into Art Tube MP Studio preamp, into mixer (sounds great to me!), and a Studio Projects C1 (large condensor) into another Art Tube MP Studio Preamp, and also into the mixer.

And since acoustic recording is ever so dynamic (pita!), I have a Shatten TC01 pickup in the resonator, plug that into an LR Baggs preamp, then into the mixer.

I was using a Line6 UX2 for the mic's, but wanted something portable, and also had some clicking/popping over USB problems, so I gave up on the UX2.

With that setup I can do pretty much everything I want, and doesn't require running lots of patch cables around when I get inspired.

Oh and RiffWorks is pretty neat, and with the other online stuff it plugs into, quite fun. There's some builtin drums and you can plug in others as well. It's song composition interface it pretty neat. Rifflink/Riffcaster are pretty cool extensions too - you can upload songs to Sonoma's site, and also "jam/compose" with other people online.

What I'd really like is some way to jam live online :)

Cheers

Brian
bkg
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:39 pm

Just starting to wet my beak with home recording - my goals are pretty much strictly to record solo acoustic stuff, but within a few years, I'm hoping to be making more professional sounding recordings.

I'm running a Samson co1u usb mic into Audacity - an easy to use, free, but limited program.

Down the line, I'd like to set up a nice stereo pair of mics into a better sounding, more flexible program - I've mixed with Protools and Cakewalk in the past, and a few of the songs on my first CD were recorded using a Roland V-1680.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby texas blues » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:38 pm

I tried a couple ...even the same unit Grady uses. I'll just admit I couldn't understand the damn thing. For some reason I might be missing the music software DNA gene. Just couldn't get next to it. I went out and bought a Tascam rig. Push a button...its on.
Cheers, TB.
texas blues
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:08 am

I've tried a couple of the USB options but, I can't get along with the Latency.
A friend gave me a Lightsnake USB cable which allows you to plug your Guitar straight into the Computer using the USB port. I'm going to try to mess with it a little right now.

I may go back to just running everything thru my Mackie DFX-6 Mixer into the Soundcard.
grady
Regular

Postby watertore » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:18 pm

Here is my set up. My stuff is all done live, with every instrument and voice, within a foot or 2 of each other. Thus, I get a more live, old sound product. If I was to do individually, isolated tracks, the stuff would stand up to many commercially released products. The gear is a big part of the puzzle, but the biggest piece is learning how to use it. I have found out it is no easier than learning a totally new instrument. I figure I am able to get about 70% of the potential of my gear. I have a lot more learning to do. Mic placement, right mic for right application, room acoustics, reverbs, delays, eq settings, etc, are all part of it.

I really only know what I have. It works for me, so take it with a grain of salt.

Computer - $1,500
samplitude classic V8 - unlimited tracks- approx $400-great reverbs, can burn cds from it, a highly regarded program.
5 electro harmonix mic preamps- approx $1,000
1 altec lansing 1592A mixer preamp- vintage used- $75
ART TPSII preamp-$100 used
headphone amplifier - $60
Lexicon reverb unit(I use it for headphone mix only)- used- $70
sonny headphones- $100
cables- approx $200
AKG C 414 TLII condesor mic- $300 used-good for vocals, drums, amps, acoustic instruments
AKG C414 BULS condensor mic -$200 used-same as above-these are studio workhorses
Beyerdynamics M 500 ribbon condensor- $200 used vintage- Killer on vocals-sinatra used one in the late 60's for performances
Oktava M012 pencil condensors(2) $200-great on drum overheads, acoustic instruments
RODE NT1A condensor- $200- another low priced, good quality all around workhorse
AT 3035- $100-used- basically same as RODE. I use these set up in the rear of of my studio to catch the room, and pan one left, one right, in the mix
Delta 1010 soundcard-$200 used- allows for up to 8 inputs at once.

So, all told, I have about $4,500 into a complete studio, cd burning operation. One can easily spend that on the recording time for a single cd. I have made over 1,000 full lenght ones since getting this set up. Walter

my studio

my latest invention- a quick change set up from stick to brush

watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby bkg » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:36 pm

grady wrote:I've tried a couple of the USB options but, I can't get along with the Latency.
A friend gave me a Lightsnake USB cable which allows you to plug your Guitar straight into the Computer using the USB port. I'm going to try to mess with it a little right now.

I may go back to just running everything thru my Mackie DFX-6 Mixer into the Soundcard.

This writeup/sampling convinced me to abandon usb/spdif in favor of the mixer -> soundcard method.

Check it out http://benvesco.com/tonemonster/the-digital-age/2008/analogue-versus-digital-can-you-tell-the-difference

I did read about good results with the lightsnake thing, but I figured it was best for me to adapt to a mini-studio model.

The latency wasn't as bad as the clicks & pops that would randomly kick in. That blog has a good writeup on small mixers too, and also talks about latency issues - if they really matter :)

What's really odd is - I had no clicks & pops or any issues until a few months ago, most likely some driver updates or OS changes. I'm happy with the mixer solution, I had never put my hands on one before :)

Cheers

Brian
bkg
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:37 pm

Right now, my Recording setup consists of

Mackie DFX-6 Mixer
Shure KSM 109 Acoustic guitar mic, SM58, SM57
LR Baggs Paracoustic DI

Everything else is in my Computer.

Here's a partial list of some great software effects/pre-amps,etc.

BBE Sonic Maximizer
PSP Vintage Warmer
Antares Auto-Tune 4
The complete Waves package including the SSL series
Guitar Rig 3
Amplitube
Revalver
NOMAD Factory Blue Tubes Collection & Analog Signature Collection & Studio Channel SC-226
Antares AVOX Vocal Kit
Antares TUBE

I have everything I need inside my Computer.
Right now, the only thing lacking in my Studio is a good Tube pre-amp/Audio Interface.
grady
Regular

Postby grady » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:42 pm

bkg wrote:
grady wrote:I've tried a couple of the USB options but, I can't get along with the Latency.

This writeup/sampling convinced me to abandon usb/spdif in favor of the mixer -> soundcard method.

Check it out http://benvesco.com/tonemonster/the-digital-age/2008/analogue-versus-digital-can-you-tell-the-difference

I did read about good results with the lightsnake thing, but I figured it was best for me to adapt to a mini-studio model.

The latency wasn't as bad as the clicks & pops that would randomly kick in. That blog has a good writeup on small mixers too, and also talks about latency issues - if they really matter :)

What's really odd is - I had no clicks & pops or any issues until a few months ago, most likely some driver updates or OS changes. I'm happy with the mixer solution, I had never put my hands on one before :)

Cheers

Brian

No latency issues with my LightSnake USB 2.0 cable but, there is a lot of background noise in the signal.
I've gone back to using my Mixer straight into the Sound Card.
grady
Regular

Postby Rythameen » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:27 pm

I am using a combination of things.

Korg D3200 standalone multitrack
Protools 7.4 running on a dual core windows machine with a Digi Rack 002 and a Command 8 controller.
A buttload of software plugins, favorites being the Waves SSL and API EQs and compressors
Art TPSII preamp
2 MXL 992 Large condenser mics
2 MXL 993 Small condenser mics
Addictive drums, EZ drummer
I also put a towel over one of my guitar cases for a kick drum,
and use brushes on a box or whatever sounds good that day.

I track into the Korg, because it is easy to set up and portable too. Also no noise at all when tracking. but I always bring the raw tracks into pro tools for editing, mixing etc.
Rythameen
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:11 pm

I use Apple's Garageband on my G5 or MacBook. I have an M-Audio USB box that I use with a mic (MXL1006) & tube pre-amp (Behringer) to record vox/acoustic guitars/amps, but I also just plug my guitars straight into the computer and use the great amp models built into Garageband.

Using the MacBook, I can also record video for YouTube at the same time, as it has a built-in camera. Here's some acoustic guitar noodling that used the mic/amp/usb into iMovie, which was recording the video.

I posted this video before which has my guitar straight into the laptop using an amp model in Garageband.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby 1dustyeod » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:27 am

I finally got my second patch bay in the other day. Now I have one for in's and one 24 input patchbay for the out's. I can get 16 channels into the computer (8 thru the MD88 and 9-16 thru an ADAT using an EZ8 into the computer). This thing has been keeping me pretty busy here lately. Lots of wiring to go thru but its all come together tonight. I think I might get one more for all the stereo outs from the back of the board also (control room, main out, tape out, stereo out from the computer, etc). Any way..... the 16 track 1/2 inch reel 2 reel is working now also so I can record to all formats now. From the 48 channel board to the 8 subgroups to 8 track reel 2 reel, 8 track ADAT, 8 track computer (MD88) or from the board as 16 channel to 16 channel of ADAT, or 16 track 1/2 inch reel 2 reel, or to the computer 16 tracks (MD88 1-8 plus theEZ8 from the ADAT 9-16). There are definately a lot of variations to play with. Cool Edit Pro/Adobe Audition works really well with this setup so far. Haven't tried SONAR 6 Producer yet but it should work also. It'll take me a couple weeks of playing with it to work the bugs out..... but its coming around.

:D 8) :roll:
1dustyeod
Regular

Postby bkg » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:24 am

I'd love to see a picture of that rig :)

Cheers

Brian
bkg
Regular

Postby 1dustyeod » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:42 am

Its all on one of my webpages brother.... and its for rent.

http://www.tommystriplethreatbluesrevue ... eUnit.html

I turn 50 this year. Gotta have something to do in my spare time..... (ha) I'm loving it though. Haven't had so much fun in a long time.

:D 8) :roll:
1dustyeod
Regular

Next

Return to Recording