just plain sad(on piano)

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

just plain sad(on piano)

Postby watertore » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:19 pm

Hi all: I pulled out the piano last night and recorded this today. I am brand new to this with my harp rack/drum set up. I am also pretty new to piano-self teaching by just banging keys. I am having fun with it. I often think the begining of learning has the most highs in some ways. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: just plain sad(on piano)

Postby blueswrench » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:18 pm

Walter, I've really enjoy listening to your songs as you post them, but I have to tell you when I listened to Broken Hearted Blues it really tore me up. My wife and soulmate passed away in 2004 and this song really brought some emotions to the surface again. I don't know where you get your inspiration for your stuff, but keep it up!
Thanks again, Gary
blueswrench
Regular

Postby watertore » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:27 pm

blueswrench wrote:Walter, I've really enjoy listening to your songs as you post them, but I have to tell you when I listened to Broken Hearted Blues it really tore me up. My wife and soulmate passed away in 2004 and this song really brought some emotions to the surface again. I don't know where you get your inspiration for your stuff, but keep it up!
Thanks again, Gary

Hi Gary: I am sorry for your loss. I almost lost my wife of 30 years a while back. I fear that day if she goes first. I am not sure where my inspirations come from. Often times they just come out nowhere. I feel like the universe is an open book to such things if you can open your soul to it. I have been a bit clarvioent (sp?) throughout my life. I use to think it was an evil thing. It is definetly a part of my tapping into the universe for words and music. I forgot what broken hearted blues about, and am listening to it as I type. I really do walk into my songs. I feel everything from the smells, feelings, surroundings, etc. I feel blessed to have such an outlet. Take care. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:29 pm

watertore wrote:
blueswrench wrote:Walter, I've really enjoy listening to your songs as you post them, but I have to tell you when I listened to Broken Hearted Blues it really tore me up. My wife and soulmate passed away in 2004 and this song really brought some emotions to the surface again. I don't know where you get your inspiration for your stuff, but keep it up!
Thanks again, Gary

Hi Gary: I am sorry for your loss. I almost lost my wife of 30 years a while back. I fear that day if she goes first. I am not sure where my inspirations come from. Often times they just come out nowhere. I feel like the universe is an open book to such things if you can open your soul to it. I have been a bit clarvioent (sp?) throughout my life. I use to think it was an evil thing. It is definetly a part of my tapping into the universe for words and music. I forgot what broken hearted blues sounds like and what it is about, and am listening to it as I type. I really do walk into my songs. I feel everything from the smells, feelings, surroundings, etc. That song had me in an old dark house. It was empty. Just me. Nothing could cure the sadness. I just had to sit with it. I feel blessed to have such an outlet. Take care. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:38 pm

Walter, this is really great stuff!

So are a bunch of others you've recorded lately. I'm playing catch-up on listening to them. :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:20 pm

Nothin' like slow-w-w-w blues Walter! I've got a buddy whom I've jammed with since the 60's and when he sits down on piano and I'm playin' harp, you can bet that the first tune is gonna be some slow walkin' blues. One of the great things that you do, Walter, is to keep that expressive harp goin', so that the music doesn't get boring. Injecting those expressive elements through the harp and your voice is a really key element to making your music listenable and attractive. You get an A+ for effort, bro', lol! I'd love to jam with you sometime. I like covers, but I've always been a jammer. And, you've been right all along: improvisation is just too scary for alotta people. It's similar to playin' with keyboard players who don't play by ear; they can sightread sheet music and their ability may be awesome, but they can be jealous of people who play by ear and improvise. Personally, I'm workin' on both skills.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:29 pm

thanks ricochet and bubba!! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Recording