lowcost live recordings...

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

lowcost live recordings...

Postby bkg » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Got a question - I've been getting together with some other players to jam a bit, and I think it'd be really cool to record the session. Every now and then a nice groove will happen.

Decent sound would be good, doesn't have to be perfect.

I haven't tried this setup live yet, but here's what I tried as proof of concept (admittedly the mics are not really cheap, but I have them laying around):

Condenser Mics -> mic preamp (toneport ux2, requires a pc/laptop) -> $30 Zen Nano Plus 1GB (line in stereo), hit mp3 encode (160kbps) and forget for 14hrs. (adjust gain to get below line-level clipping)

Given that it "worked", I bought a couple of those $30 ART mic preamps, still on the way.

The final rig will be 2 condenser mics, into these 2 art preamps, cabled into the line in (stereo) of the Zen Nano Plus. So for under $100 (if you have mics) you can record digitally for 14hrs :) (a 2GB Zen V Plus is like $69 or so, I can't play for 14hrs straight as it is anyways!)

Anyone else do any live recording? What's your rig?

Cheers,

Brian
bkg
Regular

Re: lowcost live recordings...

Postby boogiechillun85 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:43 pm

I don't know if you do an acoustic or an electric type of thing, but I know people in the old time circle swear by the Zoom H2.

I picked one up myself a few weeks ago, and so far I'm in love with it. Haven't used it in a live setting yet, but considering there's not much difference between me playing solo acoustic in my living room or playing acoustic with a few other people, I imagine the results will be just as good.
boogiechillun85
Contributor
Contributor

Re: lowcost live recordings...

Postby bkg » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:37 am

I do a mix of electric & acoustic... probably classify it as amplified acoustic (resonator with pickup), plus more electrics mixed in (+bass)

Mostly I was worried about the sound pressure and placement so it won't clip.

That H2 looks great, I thought the GAS was over :)

An all in one solution like the H2 definitely looks tempting... now to hide this next purchase... :)

Thanks!

Brian
bkg
Regular

Return to Recording