Pictures of the cube

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Pictures of the cube

Postby allanlummox » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:16 pm

I've posted pictures of my work space on my web log;

http://buskersblues.blogspot.com/
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Pictures of the cube

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:30 pm

Still makes me think of bad movies about California gas chamber executions.

Don't eat baked beans. :lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:37 pm

It has an exhaust fan - farts don't stand a chance.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:01 pm

Nice tools. Yer dialed Lummo!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:58 pm

Hi Dan: I am glad you have a space to play/record. With todays technology, the size of the room matters less and less. Is that one of those sound rooms I saw for sale at guitar center or on ebay? Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:33 pm

Walter, I ordered it from the manufacturer - http://www.whisperroom.com/.

I recorded at a studio in Oakland that has several of them, and I was impressed. We put it in not long after moving to Portland in response to complaints about noise.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:29 pm

Complaints about noise? I don't get that. I'd LOVE to hear your music coming through the wall! :D
ricochet
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:54 am

Retired folks in the building.

That's life in the big city, as they say.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jellyroll baker » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:17 am

Is it bigger on the inside? Can it travel through time and space?
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:30 pm

I once lived with a drummer and shared the whole top floor of a small apartment building, with 2 apartments downstairs. We used to jam keyboard and drums all the time, and he always played fairly loud. We had an old lady livin' downstairs from us, and after a while my roomy decided it was time to go downstairs and make peace with her (he prided himself on being good with the ladies, and he WAS.). We knocked on her door and he started rattling off a greeting and ensuing apology and she had this weird quizzical look on her face. It turned out that she was deaf as a doornail,lol! We were giddy after that visit and never worried about our volume again. BTW,Dan, what's it like to play in a quiet space like that...? Does it sound weird to your ears..? Do you have to get accustomed to it...?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:07 pm

Getting used to the space - and tweaking the acoustics - has been an ongoing project. It does sound different, but not really any funnier than being in a car.

I've lived in cities most of my life, and I've gotten used to being a good sonic neighbor. It's really cool not having to worry about it!

When I lived in mean ol' North Philly, I had a tiny back yard in a kind of a courtyard which had been broken into a dozen or so similar corrugated iron cubicles. When I played back there, I got little bits of clapping, "hey man - you're good! Keep it up!" kinds of stuff.

But you never know who works what hours, who just put a baby to sleep.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:23 pm

The first little dance band I was in, when I was in 8th grade, practiced on our sunporch when the weather was nice. We used to get complaints from the neighbors, and would immediately turn our speakers outward and turn the volume up. At that age we were pricks, constantly terrorizing adults and other kids. It was a pretty good band though, largely due to our precocious bandleader introducing us to influences like John Coltrane and Eric Burdon. I've never recorded much, and I'm pretty accustomed to "live" acoustics, unless you count playin' in those old quonset huts back in the 60's.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:44 pm

My first band practiced in a bunch of different places - for a while, we rented the huge basement of a house in Germantown that had been broken up into apartments. We has so much space, we had a corridor set aside for knife throwing. Like, to blow off steam during rehearsals. We got pretty good.

We used by the hour places, too.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:23 pm

How old were you, Dan? You weren't rentin' space as a kid were you...? I think I've been in 5 total bands stretched over 40 years, not countin' my two jam bunches, and the only time I've used an actual real rehearsal space was when a short-lived 50's band I was in during college (it was a talented bunch with good punched up 50's tunes) used one of the college's rehearsal spaces, complete with a Steinway Grand and a Hammond Organ. Otherwise, it was house basements when we were real young (I still remember the sound of buzzing joists,lol!) and more dedicated spaces in homes once I got older. The only hotel lounge act I played in used the bar for practices during the day, when we actually practiced. It was a 5 day/wk. gig, so we learned alot on the fly. I envy these guys with great dedicated spaces in their homes, away from the family. Our jam bunch has a pretty good situation, in a "add-on" room, about 16' X 42", with three glass window walls, which actually works real good for bouncin' the sound around and makin' it a little easier to hear what's goin' on with the musicians on the other side of the area. My old jam bunch that I played with for about 10 years rented a big log park lodge with wooden floors and a basement underneath. The sound sucked, 'cuz there was alotta space up around the big beams in the ceiling and the sound would just get lost up there. It reminded me of places I used to play as a kid, before monitors, where you couldn't hear a darn thing. But, it was a great place to party, and party we did. The biggest problem now, in playin' with guys my age (50-65 yrs. old) is that the guys who have gigged alot in bars have damaged hearing and they wanna play too loud all the time. I've got low hours on me, considering how long I've been playing, so I still notice those things.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:32 pm

I was 19 or so when I was in my first band. And I was in that band for at least 3 years.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Next

Return to Recording