why I am going to memphis

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

why I am going to memphis

Postby watertore » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:54 am

I did these tonight

Why I am going to memphis
dreaming of the river
hang in their little child

Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: why I am going to memphis

Postby jeffl » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:04 pm

It sounds great, Walter! The way you got that One Man Band thing goin', 40 years ago the Union woulda gotcha blacklisted for puttin' guys outa work, and if that didn't work they'd send a coupla "representatives" over to your gig to "reason" with you,lol!
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:35 pm

jeffl wrote:It sounds great, Walter! The way you got that One Man Band thing goin', 40 years ago the Union woulda gotcha blacklisted for puttin' guys outa work, and if that didn't work they'd send a coupla "representatives" over to your gig to "reason" with you,lol!

thanks bubba. Those mugs probably would have been my cousins. I am a Newark, NJ native and my mothers side is very soprano like........... I actually use to get gigs as a teen in Jersey via those guys. Good pay, never any trouble in the bar, and a few vans a night would pull up filled to the roof with discounted products of all sorts. I was quite a time back then! Walter

PS: I never have joined the musicians union. I better watch out :D
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:20 pm

The only mob guys I've ever known were either in the furniture business, or the garbage business. All Italians, which is neither here nor there. In Madison,Wi., where I grew up, the new power elite got so sick of the Italians makin' money that they tore down their so-called "ghetto" in the name of urban redevelopment, to disperse 'em. This was in the 60's, and done with government financing. They built hospitals, office buildings, parking ramps, and big roads right through their neighborhood. Alotta WASPS made money developing stuff without using any of their own money and turning it.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:08 pm

too bad my cousins werent there..........
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Recording