why I can't repeat a song

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

why I can't repeat a song

Postby watertore » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:36 am

I just recorded this one. It tells about why I can't repeat or control what comes out of me when I play music. I want to thank everyone here who gives their support. It is a big part of my inspiration. Thanks! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Re: why I can't repeat a song

Postby allanlummox » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:17 am

Beautiful stuff, Walter.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:52 pm

I loved the moanin' attitude on that one, Walter. I don't think you'll ever convince most people that your freedom of expression and spontanaeity is a real desirable thing, unfortunately. With alotta musicians, that level of freedom is too scary or has no appeal. Some guys jus' wanna do covers and sound like everybody else. Most of us either are not really gifted, or just aren't confident enough to find our own voices and styles, and that's fine, and necessary for equilibrium. It takes faith to put yourself out there like that...it damn near killed Joni Mitchell, and did kill Kurt Cobain and many others. You just have to be satisfied that some of the people who encounter you are gonna be impacted and it really doesn't matter what other musicans think about the way you do things. Some of 'em are gonna be jealous of you too, and you'll make 'em nervous. Keep 'em comin' bro'.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:32 am

Hi Dan: Thanks for listening!

Hi bubba: Thanks for your insight. You hit home on several points. It was good advice to take to the IBC with me.

Take care. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bant's Bluz » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:20 am

Walter,

It's 0616 here in deep SE Georgia and for the first time I just listened to some of your songs. All I have to say is your emotions gave me goose bumps. Would that God would have graced me with a talent such as yours.

Peace,

Doc
Bant's Bluz
Regular

Postby watertore » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:49 pm

Doc wrote:Walter,

It's 0616 here in deep SE Georgia and for the first time I just listened to some of your songs. All I have to say is your emotions gave me goose bumps. Would that God would have graced me with a talent such as yours.

Peace,

Doc

thanks for listening Doc! I am touched my music touched you. I really don't have much talent. I am probably one of the least technically proficient performers out there, but the one thing that takes no talent, which I truly live for, is letting it out unfiltered. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jeffl » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:58 pm

Walter, I cannot comment on your guitar playing, other than the fact that it sounds fine to me, but regarding your comments about proficiency I would stick up for you on the harp. You may not mess with alotta the techniques that are in the arsenals of the hot harpers around the country, but on harp you are crisp, clear, and expressive, and you embody what the early guys did...which is accompany traditional style blues on guitar and harp, to get your message across. That is the essence of the blues. There's always a better harper around, no matter how much of a wizard one may be, and there's always a more proficient guitarist around... let's face it, there's guys in every major market in the U.S. who play rock or blues guitar about as proficiently as possible who nobody knows about. Everybody wants to be #1, but there is no such thing. The guy who owns my local music store is one of the best blues guitarists I've ever heard, but he's not even giggin' anymore, 'cuz the pay sucks around here so bad that nobody wants to keep a band goin' anymore. Me, I'm just happy to be playin' every week...I'm glad I've got the opportunity. If I bring pleasure to anybody, that's great too.
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby watertore » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:55 pm

Hi bubba: thanks for those kind words. It means alot to me. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Recording