BRB CD

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

BRB CD

Postby maxx england » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:06 am

Big Road Blues Discussion Forums

FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups
Profile You have no new messages Log out [ maxx england ]

Help Keep This Site Alive!

Please Click Here to Support Our Sponsor, Coast to Coast Music!

OR

BRB CD

Big Road Blues Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Way off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic
jellyroll baker
Contributor

Posted: 26 Jul 2007 09:47 Post subject: BRB CD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I reckon we're long overdue for another one. Who's up for it?

jeffl
Contributor

Posted: 26 Jul 2007 12:46 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd do another cut for one, and maybe help out with burning extra copies and mailing 'em out to some people, but that's easy for me to say since I'm useless on the production end. I know that it's been quite a bit of effort for the guys who compiled the cuts in the past.

stumblin

Posted: 26 Jul 2007 13:22 Post subject:

The difficulties were mostly concerning people who couldn't make an email-able mp3. Me & Mousey ended up with huge stacks of cassette tapes and CDs which I had to load onto my machine to produce the discs. That was pretty time-consuming.
I think the technology has improved quite a lot since then, more people have high-speed broadband connections and there are a number of free mp3 conversion programs available to download, so we should be able to just email our songs to whoever is going to produce the compilation. I still like the idea of actual physical CDs though, downloadable albums just don't ring true to me.

dcblues
Contributor

Posted: 26 Jul 2007 13:36 Post subject:

Let's do a BRB 8-track!!!

allanlummox
Contributor

Posted: 26 Jul 2007 17:19 Post subject:

I have no access to a studio at the moment, but I like the idea.

http://buskersblues.blogspot.com/

"Please and Thank You"
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/lange

"Streetwise"
http://cdbaby.com/cd/lange2

houndog

Posted: 26 Jul 2007 19:00 Post subject:

Yip,
I'm hip.

adios,
dawg

Groovecats...The dawg at the bottom end

Houndog Fraser sliding about

grady

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 01:32 Post subject:

Count me in.

http://www.soundclick.com/gradymusick
http://www.myspace.com/gradymusick

maxx england
Contributor

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 06:17 Post subject:

If someone else can record it, I'll turn up and do me bit. You might not like it, but that won't stop me. You are warned.

david
Contributor

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 10:16 Post subject:

I had been wondering if there would be another. I guess I was thinking those on-line post-your-own-music sites had vented everyone's enthusiasm for the project.

Guess I'll have to start trying to come up with some tune ideas. Will there be any rules for this one--like no covers/original tunes only? No body paid any attention to the rules on the last ones, but its fun to have the rules so you know you're breaking them.

If anyone is lacking ability to record themselves digitally, I just found a cheap option. Olympus WS-100 is listed as a voice recorder, but the sound quality is much better than you would expect. It has multiple folders, and multiple files in each folder.

I'm about as computer illiterate as they come, but this thing is pretty intuitive to use, even for me. Its about the size of a gum pack, runs many hours on one AAA battery, has 64 mb of memory (whatever that means--the literature says 27 hours in LP mode) and the battery pack pulls out to convert the recorder into an OSB interface to transfer files directly into your computer as a Windows Media Audio (WMA) file.

It also has an internal mic and speaker and external mic and head phones can be plugged into it (it comes with earphones).

This is definitely not what you want for serious production work, but for basic "live" recording it can't be any easier. I found one on-line for about $50 (US).

I'm still looking for a good digital multi-track recording option, but this is about as cheap an option for basic recording in a digital format as there is.

Why did I post that product review on this post?

NOW NOBODY HAS AN EXCUSE!

rustyslide
Contributor

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 12:43 Post subject:

We could set up a site to host the "album" and people can just download the tracks from there if they want and burn their own CD, or just add the mp3s to their iTunes/WinAmp/what-have-you.

I'm willing to provide the space - I have something like 200 GB free on my server.

houndog

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 16:06 Post subject:

Grand Rusty,
I recorded mine this Friday 27th July evening, on electric guitar which I haven't picked up for a dawg's life.

If you like it upload it to your site, if you don't I'll do another one ( same title tho ).

It' called "Lighting Boy Boogie" and it's on the soundclick page below on the music page.

adios,
Lovat

Groovecats...The dawg at the bottom end

Houndog Fraser sliding about

stumblin

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 16:16 Post subject:

Just a cotton pickin' minute there boys.
In what respect is this "way off topic"?

bosco
Contributor

Posted: 27 Jul 2007 16:18 Post subject:

Count me in.

I have CD burning capabilities now and could offer to burn and mail a few if we end up doing it the old fashioned way.

Must be ESP- was just going through some discs this morning and came across one of the prior BRB compilations.

Bosco

"The joy of living is his, who has the heart to demand it."
T.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Recording