Who uses Linux softare for the recording studio?

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Who uses Linux softare for the recording studio?

Postby Andy Lee » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:42 pm

Does anyone use Linux software; I am trying to get the Rosegarden editing programme up and going?
Andy Lee
Regular

Postby musicalcarrion » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:26 pm

I do. It's been packed away for around 7 months now (I've not been home in a while).

I prefer the command line stuff over things like Rosegarden, as a personal preference -- I like to be able to accurately reproduce and reuse everything I do.

There's the content of a talk I did for a Linux users' group up here:

http://www.musicalcarrion.com/tech/

And an article for Linux Journal:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8781

They don't specifically cover Rosegarden, but there's a lot in common between most tools (on most platforms).

What are the problems you're having?
musicalcarrion
Regular

Postby Andy Lee » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:08 pm

Thanks for the reply. At the moment I am using finding my way around MIDI software such as qsynth, hydrogen and Rosegarden, and am attempting at setting up a MIDI studio.

The problem I am having at the moment is: despite getting all the individual programmes to work and make sounds, I haven't worked out how to record them onto Rosegarden. Something to do with getting the studio properly configured. Rosegarden does produce sounds, as I accidently downloaded a hydrogen (drum machine) pattern onto it.

I am really a blues guitarist and singer, but am trying to do some stuff for a documentary. When I get some Audio hardware (audio soundcard, etc.), I'll start putting down some of my own stuff.

A you can see, I am a complete beginner and my problems are probably rudimentary.
Andy Lee
Regular

Postby musicalcarrion » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:58 pm

Andy Lee wrote:The problem I am having at the moment is: despite getting all the individual programmes to work and make sounds, I haven't worked out how to record them onto Rosegarden.

If it's just digital audio you want to share between your apps and Rosegarden (as opposed to MIDI data), use the JACK sound server. As well as providing low-latency audio record and playback, you can hit play on one application and record on another.

As an example (probably noted in that article), I use Hydrogen to create my drum tracks, but the particular snapshot of Hydrogen I'm running doesn't properly export to a RIFF Wave file. Instead, I tell Hydrogen to play through JACK and tell ecasound (Rosegarden in your case) to record from JACK.

JACK does increase the complexity a little, but it's worth spending the time to understand how to use it. It comes with many Linux distributions too.
musicalcarrion
Regular

Return to Recording