recording piano

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

recording piano

Postby david » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:58 pm

Where do you place a single mic to best record an upright piano?
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:17 pm

Probably a few feet away... i don't think close by would be good as you'd get certain notes louber than others... perhaps 6feet away? is that realistic? I don't really know, just probing ideas... Experiment and let us know
Bournio
Regular

Postby jeffl » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:05 pm

I've never done it, but if you have only one mic I guess i'd lift up the top and put a boom mic several feet over the middle of the range you're recording. Have you googled on it?
jeffl
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:05 pm

Pianos are tough, and there's a LOT of different ways to go about it, but one thing I've seen done that makes sense is micing the BACK of the Upright Piano - get it away from the walls, and start with the Mic a few feet away - Bournio has the right general notion there.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby david » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:11 pm

I haven't Googled it yet. I figured there would be someone here that had actually recorded a piano and could at least tell me what doesn't work.

For what I'm wanting to do (record my daughter playing piano--and she is getting pretty good) moving the piano away from the wall is probably a last resort sort of option.

That room is already crammed full with the piano, a bell set, numerous guitars, banjo, dobro, fiddle and mandolin, not to mention all the piles of music laying about. According to my wife, the room is a "guest room, complete with bed and dressers. If we started trying to move the piano we'd have to move the "guest room" paraphenalia and my wife would likely have a fit.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Return to Recording