Audacity

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Audacity

Postby maxx england » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:42 am

I have just had the Audacity programme loaded onto a Windows XP computer. Is there anything I should know about it? Darowyn has given me a 4 track mixer to play with as well, and Videoman is loaning me some sort of Shure until I can get one of my own.

Hints, wrinkles, etc welcome. Like not hitting the button to play it backwards; I thought any minute now, the devil will tell me to eat biscuits or something.

One thing I have done is record a short medley through a cheap old Sony low impedance mike onto a dictaphone, and messed around with that. Walkin Blues comes out, from a slightly coarse humbuckery original, as a dirty howl like a "metisse" in season has walked past a dogs' home.

Going to be enjoying this.
maxx england
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slickcat » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:10 pm

Hey Mickey,
I use Audacity all the time. However...I dont know too much about it. I like it because its simple. Play..record..rewind..mixdown. Im sure others can do a lot more with it. Those effects are a little difficult. I seem to always need to tweak the settings.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:02 pm

It has a nice noise removal tool. You should let your recording start for about 5 seconds or so without playing so you will have a section you can sample later for noise and remove any static/noise that is in the recording. You can apply the noise removal at various levels. If you apply it too heavy, it starts removing bits of your music.

Audacity has several other nice tools for a freeware program.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby old mojo » Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:58 pm

I've been usin' it for about 6 months now. Like others have said, it's really simple. Many of the controls are NOT intuitive, at least to my granite wrapped-in-half-inch-audio-tape skull, but it's not hard to figure them out. There's also an Audacity forum on the sound forge site with some very helpful folks that hang there.
The add-on effects have a full range of useful to "huh?". G-verb is very nice once you get used to setting all ump-teen parameters.
It's the only PC recording software I've ever used. I still have a hard time believin' that it's FREE!
old mojo
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:10 am

I just discovered Audacity the other week. It's besn lurking on my hard drive for a year adn I'd never bothered to play with it. I feel like a fool - this software is fantastic! It's pretty much all I need at the moment as far as audio software goes and the price sure is right. :)

Us bluesters should check out some of the built in EQ settings - stuff like "Columbia 78" and "Decca 78" are great for getting the nice old timey sound.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slickcat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Us bluesters should check out some of the built in EQ settings - stuff like "Columbia 78" and "Decca 78" are great for getting the nice old timey sound.

Yeah I like the Columbia LP mixdown it gives a nice smooth sound to my slide tracks.
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby BadBoyJones » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:26 pm

Hmmm, I could'nt find a proper reverb for audacity... :cry: ... so I bought Cooledit :D Its nearly the same... ok it;s not: Cooledit is multitrack so you can record a whole band in one go (just need a good sound card etc.) abd all the filters etc. are much easier in use IMO.

Anyone overhere uses Cooledit?!

rgards

BBJ
BadBoyJones
Regular

Return to Recording