Any hints?

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Any hints?

Postby cas » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:05 am

I wasn't sure where to put this...so here goes. Just looking for some hints/tips/advice here.

I wrote a song that was based on a current television show and am trying to figure out a way to get it to the "powers that be".

First issue is: Is a basic guitar, voice done on my four-track ok? Send a tape or burn to cd?

Second issue: How do I find out who to send it to?

I've done some looking around and I know who the producers of the show are...not sure if it should go to them or not?

So...any advice?

Carol
cas

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:14 am

There is a talent agency named "Taxi" whose newsletter I somehow got subscribed to years ago. Lately the newsletters have been just full of info on recording stuff for soundtrack use, which isn't quite the same thing but is close. I think the newsletter articles are archived on the site. You'd have to join to get 'em to represent you, of course. Their people listen to anything you submit to them, and they'll send it back with good recommendations on how to make it better. If it's right, they can get it listened to by folks who can buy it.

http://taxi.com/
ricochet
Regular

Postby songdog » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:37 am

Probably need to burn it to a CD. But, before you send it to anybody, send a copy to yourself in the mail. Don't open it once you receive it. An unopened postmarked copy of your song will give you proof that the song is yours and dated as to when you wrote it..... just in case one of the powers that be decides to rip off your unprotected work.
songdog
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:02 am

There have been reports that that "poor man's copyright" method may not be reliable. One can register it properly for something like $30, I think.

Taxi doesn't strike me as ripoff artists. I think they're on the level.
ricochet
Regular

Postby Boogieman » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:15 pm

Ricochet is right! Don't send it anywhere without copywriting it first.
Boogieman
Regular

Postby NEONMOONY » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:57 am

The "poor man's copyright" is worthless. Copyright fee of 30 bucks is money well spent. You can copyright up to 30 songs as a collection but in this case it might be best to just do the single one since you have immediate marketing intentions. Forms are easily available online, send in the cd and lyrics. Takes several months to get the form back. That is one of the areas W cut back funding.
NEONMOONY
Regular

Postby cas » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:54 am

Thanks for the replies.

Carol
cas

Return to Recording