Licensing for cover songs and the like.

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Licensing for cover songs and the like.

Postby stratman_27 » Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:19 pm

I see many of you post your material on Soundclick and Myspace while I understand posting your original material poses no copyright violation because it belongs to you. My question is do you have to obtain the licenses to post cover tunes even if your not selling them. From my reading, you must obtain license to post cover tunes whether your selling them or not and you must pay a royalty to the publisher for songs downloaded you don't pay a royalty for on demand streams. Whats the best way to go about getting licenses? Harry Fox Agency seems to be a bit pricey would it be better to go directly to the publisher?

Confused I am please help
stratman_27
Regular

Postby allanlummox » Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:26 am

It's a confusing subject.

My understanding is that you're responsible for leasing copyrights in any medium, and that posting cover songs on Myspace, etc. is against their T.O.S.

But their are a few different ways of looking at it...and the rules are always changing.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby musicalcarrion » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:42 pm

allanlummox wrote:It's a confusing subject.

And made all the more confusing by the internet. Consider this:

- I record a copy of Dan Lange Streetwise. I'm in Australia
- I submit that to the UK myspace site
- Dan Lange is apparently in Portland, Oregon

Whose laws take precedence?

In the above example, it's more straightforward because Australia and the UK have inherited much of the copyright legislation that the US introduced in 2000, but it's still a tough question to answer.

If you decide that you *are* going to pay royalties for something you've pilfered, the other question is how to find out how much to pay and to whom. A lot of the earlier Blues stuff in particular was copyrighted (some countries insist on having copyright declared or registered) much later than it was recorded and is not yet in the public domain. The artists, however, are often long since expired.

The opposite is probably true also -- how do you make sure that your royalties roll in without hassle when other want to cover your greatness?
musicalcarrion
Regular

Postby jellyroll baker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:40 pm

^^ If you're in Australia then report all plays of Dan's song to APRA and they'll do the rest.
jellyroll baker
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:49 pm

When I've released recordings of cover songs, I have paid leases on them - I've gone through the Harry Fox agency, which is easy, but there are other ways of going about it. I believe that Grady (for example) has worked directly with the lease holders of some tunes.

The laws have changed each time I've purchased song leases - hence my reluctance to make authoratative pronouncements and merely deeming the subject "confusing". Any given recording artist is responsible for their own usage.
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Licensing for cover songs and the like.

Postby amfest » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:51 pm

The rate is 9 cents per song per CD up to 2500 CD's . Just go to BMI or ASCAP to find the name of song writer and publishing info.
amfest
Regular

Re: Licensing for cover songs and the like.

Postby ricochet » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:18 am

It's very unclear to me if you must, or how you can if so, obtain a license to post a cover on a free streaming site. And the licensing agreements you have to agree to to post are typically clear as mud. That's why I pretty much quit posting music.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Recording