Binaural recording

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Binaural recording

Postby guitarslim101 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:37 am

Anyone ever play around with it? Pearl Jam recorded an album a few years ago using it (on a few songs) and it sounds pretty cool...I think I may have to try it when I get the reel-to-reel up and running.
guitarslim101
Regular

Postby watertore » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:10 pm

I have wondered about this technique for quite awhile. Here is a link all about it. After reading it, I will have to try it now that I have some good mics and preamps. Walter

http://www24.brinkster.com/influxdesign ... rding.html
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby jaybee » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:22 am

the "poor man's version": take 2 mics and place them on mic stands forming an X with the mics. have the "business end" of the mics about as far apart and at the same level as your ears, record each on it's own track, when listening to them, be sure to listen to them inverted: left recorded channel on the right and vice versa --> exact recording of what you heard standing at that point
great for live recordings: chose a spot where you hear the band in balance, and presto...
the demo of my band has been recorded like that - link in signature
jaybee
Regular

Postby guitarslim101 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:29 pm

Man, it just sounds "big"...I love it.
guitarslim101
Regular

Return to Recording