format conversion

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

format conversion

Postby david » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:41 pm

This isn't so much about recording as about playing back.

I ended up with a CD full of music I really like, but it's in Mp3 format, which means I can play it on my computer or in the little CD player dealy. But it won't play in my truck or on my main stereo.

Sometime ago I down loaded a converter program for free, as a demo package. I used it back then, but now I forget what format I need to change to in order to play on my older CD players.

(Forgetting doesn't sound strange to me these days, but the phrase "older CD player" certainly does!)

Anybody provide a little help here?
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Bournio » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:17 pm

CDA format plays in CD players... normally when you copy a cd it should give you the option to convert them into CDA(compact disc Audio) file, but I think it depends on the burner.
Bournio
Regular

Postby Rythameen » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:28 pm

I just use Nero Express that came with my computer, I just drag the mp3's over to it and tell it I want to make an audio CD........done deal.
Rythameen
Regular

Postby david » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:29 pm

Well, I got home and checked my conversion program. I have the option of converting to either WAV or OGG (OGG Vorbis).

I used this program when we did the last BRB CD and it worked fine, but I don't remember which of those formats allowed me to play the resulting CD on "regular" CD players.

I could, of course, convert to both and see which one works, but I'd have to just throw away one of the resulting CDs. That would hurt a feller like me. I'm so danged tight I wouldn't give you a cold...
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby raiph » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:40 pm

avi, mp3, OGG, Vobis....

These are, generally speaking, compression formats devised for efficient digital transmission and storage; most "conversion" software converts betwenn and twixt these formats.

Conversion from these compressed formats to cda is typically an automatic process that takes place when you burn a CD using a reasonably comprehensive burning program like Nero, Sonic, etc, etc, etc (Hundreds of them, many free - do a Google, or look at Download.com.)

You don't have to do any actual converting, just load the (usually avi or mp3) files to the burner and press "Go" (or Burn, or whatever).
raiph
Regular

Postby rustyslide » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:04 pm

raiph wrote:You don't have to do any actual converting, just load the (usually avi or mp3) files to the burner and press "Go" (or Burn, or whatever).

The catch is that you might have to tell it to burn an audio CD rather than an mp3 CD or data CD.
rustyslide
Site Admin

Postby david » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:35 pm

I may have to try to do this from my work computer, as my home computer is evidently too old to get the job done.

I know I converted some Mp3 files to a format that worked on all players a year or so ago, I just can't remember now how I did it.
david
Contributor
Contributor

Postby raiph » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:36 pm

"The catch is that you might have to tell it to burn an audio CD rather than an mp3 CD or data CD."

The REAL catch is that, when I said "load them to the burner", I didn't mean the physical drive (ambiguity is so easy, isn't it?)

What I should have said was something along the lines of "load them to the cd burning software..." and, as our friend rightly points out, in the options presented by whatever program that might be, select "make audio CD that will play in your car, in your home player....etc" (whatever the words might be).

Sorry for any confusion, David.
raiph
Regular

Return to Recording