Got a nice vintage vocal mic/pre amp set up

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Got a nice vintage vocal mic/pre amp set up

Postby watertore » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:06 pm

I bought a mint, vintage, beyerdynamic M500 ribbon mic(used by sinatra in the late 60's) in august, for $300, and then on reccomendations on the tape-op forum, got a vintage altec lansing 1592a mixer/preamp on ebay. The altec came literally wrapped in a couple of cloth, grocery size bag, and in a box the size of fender twin reverb. Needless to say, the box was destroyed from the unit bouncing in it. When I powered it up, the meter neddle was jumping all over the place, but in between pops, it sounded good. I took it into the local shop and got it back today. Total charge was $50 for a solder fix. I contacted paypal and filed a conflict resolution. They sent me $104 for the unit, which I paid $130 for. So, total, I have $76 into it, and it is working fine. I did a quick song with it today. You can hear it at my link below. It is called "happy birhtday to me". I think this vocal set up has potential. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Nice..

Postby slickcat » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:36 pm

Nice clear tone you got goin on there Walter.
But...hell, you sound good no matter what kinda mic-preamp thingy your usin.. 8) :D
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Nice..

Postby watertore » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:09 pm

slickcat wrote:Nice clear tone you got goin on there Walter.
But...hell, you sound good no matter what kinda mic-preamp thingy your usin.. 8) :D

thanks slickcat! The better you get at this recording thing, the more it is like splitting hairs. What I am liking about this set up is, it is a different preamp than my other 5(all the same EH 12AY7 tube), and it seems to seperate the mix up. I see you live in NJ. I am from the Newark area, and got my musical start in the clubs there and in NYC. I miss the pizza and Italian food! Jackson is south right? My parents retired to toms river. We are moving to ohio this spring, from sonoma county, ca (wine country north of SF) and I am excited to be closer to home base. Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slickcat » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:06 am

Hi Walter,
Yes Jackson is South Jersey. "The Pinelands" nothing but pine tree's for miles and miles. Also home of the "JerseyDevil" creature with a long tail horse head and bat-like wings....it supposidley lives deep in the swampy pinelands. Hey theres a song for your mojo guitar. :wink:
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby allanlummox » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:15 pm

That sounds great, Walter.

You know, I used to go camping in the Pine Barrens pretty regularly - mostly around Wharton State Forest and the Caranza Memorial area.

I had a rather long, rambling shaggy dog story about the Jersey Devil that I used as part of my patter when I was playing classrooms in the Philly school system.

Wondering if I ought to dust it off, tighten it up, and trot it out....
allanlummox
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:17 pm

You could put it to music, something like "The Girl Who Never Rode On A Train." (I like that one.) :lol:
ricochet
Regular

Postby watertore » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:50 pm

Being raised in the newark area, we would sometimes hear stories about toothless, inbred, hillbillies living in the deepest part of the pine barrens. We also heard they were very unkind to strangers. That would scare us more than walking downtown newark, at 3am, on a weekend. I also heard, once I started getting around with my music, that there was some incredible backwoods musicians down there, frozen in time. I was ready to go looking for them, but my fear of the dark, quiet, no sidewalk, traffic, etc, kept me from going! Crazy huh! Walter
watertore
Contributor
Contributor

Postby slickcat » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:08 pm

I also heard, once I started getting around with my music, that there was some incredible backwoods musicians down there

Yeah...there used to be a old farm that anyone who played a instrument could go. Always welcomed and always great music. Well its changed a bit but preserved.
Here is a little story: http://www.alberthall.org/history.html
slickcat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ricochet » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:29 pm

Now we know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.
ricochet
Regular

Return to Recording