Tape

The place for questions, answers, and tips for recording your music. This can be home recording or studio recording. This subject seems to come up on several other forums so we're giving it a home here.

Tape

Postby John Swaffer Lawrence » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:31 pm

Hey all, still farily new here but just wanted to, Tape is brilliant!

I've been producing (other styles of music) for quite a while now, recently got back into blues in a big way. Recorded some playing with my mate Wurz last night just onto a cheap cheap tape dictaphone and was amazed at the result. I just placed it on a pile of books with the mic facing sideways on to the amp and diagonally onto the acoustic. Sounded well good. That tape quality is so good and this was only a crap mic. Acoustic was a bit quiet but I'm definatly going to try this again. I'd also reccomend this method if you want to record jam sessions. Saves enormous space compared to using a computer. take care

Cheers
John Swaffer
John Swaffer Lawrence
Regular

Postby BadBoyJones » Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:26 pm

It all depends. Some people who have the time to mess with mastering/mixing and have enough money prefer recordind each instrument on different tracks etc. But it sounds quite nice, what type of tapes does it use?
BadBoyJones
Regular

Tape

Postby John Swaffer Lawrence » Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:08 pm

Just normal cassettes, I've recently finished a degree in sound and music tech and use Nuendo for recording to seperate tracks, mixing, affecting and mastering (though i need to get more hardware) But I'd definatly advocate downmixing to tape or just put one track onto to tape and back again for that quality tape sound. Old reel to reels and four tracks surely have their own unique quality to them too. Long live tape.

Listening to old Robert Johnson records which i guess where recorded straight to 78rpm vinyl, they certainly have a distinct sound, but obviously Mr Johnson was a master and could make his instrument sing like the sirens.

Take Care

Cheers
John Swaffer
John Swaffer Lawrence
Regular

Return to Recording